M kebaord is broke ad I ca't eeter m admi password

22dave22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
This is my first time using this site. My keyboard is broken so I have to cut and paste evertime I need "h,n,g,y" Is there anyway to hook up a keyboard and bypass my keyboard ? I have a Powerbook g4. Because of this problem, I can't enter my admi. password so I can't update software etc. Also my disc player is broken, so I can't change the password. This Mac is only 1 1/2 old and it's falling apart. Could anyone help me out?? Dave

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Your PowerBook definitely has a busted keyboard...about the only thing you can do is have it replaced. It's about $150 to have Apple to do it.

But yes, you should be able to just plug in a USB keyboard and it should work fine.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Hook up a keyboard to bypass your keyboard? I want to say it's fairly obvious that like WildCowboy said, you can easily just plug in a USB keyboard into one of your USB ports.

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2007
This is my first time using this site. My keyboard is broken so I have to cut and paste evertime I need "h,n,g,y" Is there anyway to hook up a keyboard and bypass my keyboard ? I have a Powerbook g4. Because of this problem, I can't enter my admi. password so I can't update software etc. Also my disc player is broken, so I can't change the password. This Mac is only 1 1/2 old and it's falling apart. Could anyone help me out?? Dave
Dave's admin password must be "hungry". If any of you find it, be sure to test it. :p

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I ex erienced a simi ar issue. lugging in a U b ke board was easy on my owerBook. Good L ck.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
System Preferences> International > Input Menu > Keyboard Viewer

Then look for Show Keyboard Viewer under your country's flag, next to Time in the Menu Bar.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
System Preferences> International > Input Menu > Keyboard Viewer

Then look for Show Keyboard Viewer under your country's flag, next to Time in the Menu Bar.
Used this to login with just the mouse when I was too lazy to bend over and rech the keys. Works great.

Cheers,