Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mooseloft

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2008
Hi all, first post. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what should be a simple option in protools m-powered. Basically, I can't hear anything on the input unless I hit record. I can hear all previously recorded tracks but I can't take a dry run or a sound check without recording. How can I change this? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Mooseloft

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Hi all, first post. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what should be a simple option in protools m-powered. Basically, I can't hear anything on the input unless I hit record. I can hear all previously recorded tracks but I can't take a dry run or a sound check without recording. How can I change this? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Mooseloft

We're talking about PTLE m-powered, right? Isn't there an 'I' button for input next to the 'R' (record) button?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
We're talking about PTLE m-powered, right? Isn't there an 'I' button for input next to the 'R' (record) button?

someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe that I button is available only on (full-blown) PT, not PTLE or PTM.

BCains

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Set your track to record by clicking on the "R" on the channel, the track is now "Record Enabled"
although it wont capture audio, you should hear the instrument now to get your levels check etc.

Then go to the Transport window, Click the record enable button (red)
now your track is "Record Ready." Spacebar or play to record.

mooseloft

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2008
thanks for the replies. Bcains, I can hit record enable and check my levels but not while listening to previously recorded tracks. I can only do this if I am actually recording. Any explaination? Thanks, Bryan (mooseloft)

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Yeah, Auto Input Monitor is designed to switch to input at the point you hit record[/I, it's supposed to mimic a tape machine.

Input mode is available on HD because the hardware can deal with zero latency pass-through whist in playback, LE cannot.

I simply run the system in record and then hit Command+. (Apple key and period) to stop the recording and discard the last file, this means you don't clutter the HD up with unwanted recordings.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe that I button is available only on (full-blown) PT, not PTLE or PTM.

Heh, I've not used LE since the days before HD even had that option, so just assumed it had been integrated into both.
Anyway, as a couple of others have pointed out, there should be an input option in one of the pull down menus so that you can hear yourself playing any instrument while the tracks are playing.

mooseloft

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2008
Thanks alot for the help. That did the trick. One more question. Are there any advantages to switching from m-powered to LE. I only do music for myself (no post production for TV). Thanks again, Mooseloft

BCains

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
M-Powered doesn't support the following, which is not a big deal at all for you:

Control|24™ control surface
DV Toolkit™ option
DigiTranslator

LE and M-powered software are literally the same product, except one is designed for M-audio interfaces.

mooseloft

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2008
Thanks again Bcains. I actually thought of one more question if you don't mind. would it be possible to record through one maudio interface and monitor out through another. I already have a fw410 but need more ins. I would be happy with an 1814 but it only has 4 outs. Could I somehow use both at the same time or do I have to upgrade to a digi 003. Much appreciated, Mooseloft

BCains

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Hey, i'm not too se whether you can run both interfaces at the same time...

Personally, i'd be upgrading to the 003, better quality, more expandable options etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.