M0001 Macintosh

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by RedElectro, May 22, 2013.

1. RedElectro macrumors regular

Hello...
    For whatever reason, I went a bit crazy and bought an original 1984 M0001 128k Macintosh. It's in (almost) perfect working condition (The Q Key doesn't work on keyboard) but apart from that it's working perfectly and I'm very happy with it.

My only issue is the System Discs (System 4) I don't feel comfortable using them with the machine as they're the only copies I've got - but I also can't seem to get hold of any 400k floppies to make backups!!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions!!?

Thanks in advance.

2. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

800K/DD media will be just fine - they're not available in brick-and-mortar stores any more, of course. But they're available on auction sites as well as various online retailers.

3. RedElectro thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your help David!

Now... Off to eBay!!

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Seconded, 800K/DD disks will work fine. (late-marketed 400K disks are just 800K disks that ignore one side of the media.)

In an absolute pinch, you can try HD disks, but they will be terribly unreliable, and will be even MORE unreliable if you ever try to use them as HD again.

5. RedElectro thread starter macrumors regular

Right...

Got my 800k Disks (thanks) and I've got my system software backed up.

also got the "Q" key working again... so now it IS in perfect working condition!

Just wondered if anyone can be so kind as to help out with the following? It would be great if I could get files onto my iMac from the 128. Also I would like to get files that I download onto the original Mac.

I have a USB floppy connected to the iMac, but that won't read disks created on the Mac and Vice Versa. It's down to the DD HD thing. I just don't know away around it... so in short...

Is there any way of sharing files between the Macintosh 128k and my iMac (I know there's no AirDrop! :p ) ?

6. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

In short - no. Not without some more hardware in between. Namely a machine that can speak both DD and HD... which would be pretty much any of the last generation Mac that had a built-in floppy drive.

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

No easy way, no.

I use a beige G3 that I dual-boot between OS X 10.2 and OS 9 to transfer files, or my SE with Ethernet (I have an HD20 hard drive that I can swap between the SE and the 128 - my 128 has a 512K upgrade that lets it use the HD20.)