M0001 Project Guidance

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by coronary, Jan 15, 2010.

1. coronary macrumors newbie

I just dug my mothers old M0001 out of the closet and have been fooling around with it. The thought occurs to try to do something with this relic of pop-computing, something completely pointless but relevant. My first thought was to try to connect it to the internet, somehow, and set it up to handle a stripped down IM client, or something to that nature.

Sadly, I tragically grew up in the age of hard drives and this computer is so out of my league that I beseech you, the collective of legacy users and tweekers, for ideas and know-how.

I know that I'm out of my element here as far as a collector, and new to this forum, so pardon my slips in etiquette and history.

--coronary

2. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Sorry to spoil the fun, but you will never get an original 128k Mac on the internet. You'll need at least a Plus running System 6 for that.

If the thing is in good shape, don't do anything drastic. It will have some value as a collectable. Sadly, they aren't good for very much else in my opinion.

For good information on ooooold Macs, try the 68kmla forum or jag's house.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

If you just want to be able to say that you are interacting with the internet via the computer; you can use a serial terminal software to either dial-up to an internet provider, or just have serial terminal access to another machine (such as a Linux machine,) so that the actual internet applications (Lynx for web browsing, for example,) are running on a remote system.

I have an Apple IIc set up this way, and will likely do the same with my Macintosh M0001. (The two systems are sitting on top of my quad-socket Itanium server.)

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Nice to know someone is using an Itanium server for its correct purpose :p

5. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

That's called "University of Michigan's inventory guy screwed up when entering it into the inventory system, and the clerk who hand-wrote the receipt used the number from the inventory system, because it's what the inventory system said."

It is M0001. Your UofM receipt is the only reference I can find to the 128K as "M1000". Every single other reference on the Internet is M0001.

P.S., since my last post, I did successfully get my M0001 "on the net".

7. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I hear ya, just that I have actual printed order list and receipt......does anyone else have physical proof from that era that clearly states M0001 as the official Apple Model number??

Other possibility is there was separate University pricing model sku code so apple could know their sales#'s to public vs education.

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

My M0001 (it's actually upgraded to a Plus, but the outer case is original) Mac is sitting in Austin right now, so I don't have physical proof, but a little searching around Google images yields results such as this one:

[​IMG]

or this one:

[​IMG]

9. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Got it, the clerks @ U of M and Inacomp both had "slippery" fingers 26 years ago.
    I was kinda hoping M1000 would turn out to be the rarest 128kMac....
    M0001 it is!