Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Just a quick check with all of you. I have a 13" M1 MBA with 16 gb ram and 512 gb ssd. Apple shows me that the battery is normal with 84 cycles to date. The design capacity is currently at 89%. That's the issue. I was using the MBA daily until I purchased a M2 MBP. Now I only use the M1 once in a while. Why is the design capacity lower with only 84 cycles? And, how lasting is the battery now with only light, infrequent use? I don't keep the laptop plugged in. I tried Al Dente, but it always went wonky on me. Never stayed set where it should have stayed set. So, how much lasting life is there with 89% design capacity? 89% seems low to me.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
The battery is almost 4 years old, 89% is fine. If you find it too low, pay $129 to Apple to replace the battery.

To be honest, I see plenty of people in Starbucks with their laptops plugged into an outlet. So are you really running out of battery with power outlets available everywhere?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Just a quick check with all of you. I have a 13" M1 MBA with 16 gb ram and 512 gb ssd. Apple shows me that the battery is normal with 84 cycles to date. The design capacity is currently at 89%. That's the issue. I was using the MBA daily until I purchased a M2 MBP. Now I only use the M1 once in a while. Why is the design capacity lower with only 84 cycles? And, how lasting is the battery now with only light, infrequent use? I don't keep the laptop plugged in. I tried Al Dente, but it always went wonky on me. Never stayed set where it should have stayed set. So, how much lasting life is there with 89% design capacity? 89% seems low to me.
Is that 89% from the Apple system setting battery pane? Or is it from a third party utility? Apple has a curve that better represents the actual full charge capacity rather than the current/design value.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexJaye

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
89% is okay. Generally speaking I wouldn't expect the sort of issues where you'd need to replace the battery, at that value.

With 84 cycles, sounds like you primarily used it connected to charger - which is fine. I do the same with my M1 Max, which I've had for... oh, something under 2 years I guess. It's at 37 cycles & 95%.

Reactions: Tenashus1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.