Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Mac Mini M1 owner here. I've had a few issues with an LG 27UK600 (27" 4k HDR IPS) monitor, some of which are documented by others too.

- CablesMatter USB-C -> HDMI Monitor: Loses connection for a second or two a few times a day.
- Lenovo Thinkpad USB-C dock -> DP -> DP Monitor: Washed out colors (didn't try for longer)
- Caldigit TB3+ DP -> DP Monitor: Washed out colors and will not wake screen after sleep, sometimes even after plugging/unplugging.
- Caldigit TB3+ TB -> CablesMatter USB-C -> HDMI Monitor: Colors are good, no screen intermittent temporary screen blanking issue when directly plugged in, but when resuming from sleep the resolution is off (part of the bottom screen cut off, but resolution reported fine by Display/System Report) until I unplug and plug it back in. If I remember correctly, the screen doesn't always wake either. (Waking up manually it still doesn't drive the display, so likely doesn't see it as connected anymore)
- MacMini HDMI -> HDMI Monitor: The only configuration that works consistently work color, resolution, and waking the display.

I've been testing out different configurations to see how this would work if I had an M1 MacBook.. since of course it doesn't have an HDMI port itself. But, results aren't promising from the above. Has anyone on the 11.1 beta found any of these issues resolved?

I ordered two more adapters: a Caldigit DP -> HDMI active adapter and an Anker USB-C -> HDMI 4k@60hz adapter. The CablesMatter USB-C -> HDMI Amazon page has mentioned similar sounding issues for failed cables in the past, though I've used this particular one with a 2017 iMac continuously with no issues. May cancel the adapter orders though, since this is pretty ridiculous to have to hunt for a working combination (if there is one). Any similar experiences?

Reactions: jazz1

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I am running 2 monitors ( non 4K) and they are both flawless, waking up from sleep overnight (I never turn off or shutdown my Macs).

The M1 Mini has been great after it settled down (kernel panic restarts) the first couple of days....

And using a Magic 2 Keyboard + Magic mouse on BT.

IMG_6576.jpg

bwb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2004
I am running 2 monitors ( non 4K) and they are both flawless, waking up from sleep overnight (I never turn off or shutdown my Macs).

The M1 Mini has been great after it settled down (kernel panic restarts) the first couple of days....

And using a Magic 2 Keyboard + Magic mouse on BT.

View attachment 1682668
Yeah, I suspect it something specific to the combination of adapters/docks and the monitor model. For example, perhaps a race condition where the dock is powered back on but the monitor doesn't respond quick enough when the M1 queries attached devices.

Are you using any adapters, or is one monitor USB-C and one HDMI?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.