Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zefonseca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Hi everyone,

I just bought a lightning Dock from AliExpress which has USB, HDMI out, ethernet and SD card reader. It works great, so I'm wondering...

Is there any jailbreak hack that enables desktop mode on a docked iPhone like Samsung is trying to do with Dex?
Now that Macs have the M1 chip which is arm based, and can runs iOS apps, it would be very interesting a docked iPhone running M1 versions of apps!

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Hi everyone,

I just bought a lightning Dock from AliExpress which has USB, HDMI out, ethernet and SD card reader. It works great, so I'm wondering...

Is there any jailbreak hack that enables desktop mode on a docked iPhone like Samsung is trying to do with Dex?
Now that Macs have the M1 chip which is arm based, and can runs iOS apps, it would be very interesting a docked iPhone running M1 versions of apps!
An Operating system is more than just the CPU.

MacOS may have the abilities to run some iOS apps, but that's because Apple have baked that functionality into MacOS. The same is not true the other direction.

MacOS is a desktop operating system and apps written for it use that to execute.

iOS and iPadOS lack a huge chunk of the required libraries to allow what you desure to happen.

Dex is also not for running desktop apps on a Samsung: it's to extend the mobile OS to full desktop environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.