Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8mrg81

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
I just got a "service recommended" for my battery a week or so ago. It's an M1 pro, got it a couple of years ago but I've been extending the apple care every year. Will apple replace my battery for free? It shows 79% health. The battery has been getting bad already months ago so I was kind of expecting this. It seemd way worse than just a 20% of degradation. Instead of charging it once a day I charge it 2-3 times.

Anyway I just found some people posting that apple replaces it if the cycles are <1000. And guess what …. my had 1017 cycles lol. Almost like the OS was waiting with this pop up until it reaches 1000 cycles. Hopefully with apple care, the number of cycles does not matter
thanks

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If you have AppleCare+, it will be replaced at no cost.
If you don't have AppleCare+, treat the message as "Advisory" not instructive. i.e., you can keep using the battery as long as you want - pay for a replacement only when the battery life becomes a concern.

The 1,000 cycle limit only applies to batteries replaced within the factory warranty. Which is kind of an oddball restriction... I suppose it's possible to get 1,000 cycles on a less-than-1-year old machine but you'd have to work at it!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Take it to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store right away.

Or if no Apple Store near, call Apple directly.

Time may be of the essence.
Don't wait.

• Haha
Reactions: FreakinEurekan

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
If you have AppleCare+, it will be replaced at no cost.
If you don't have AppleCare+, treat the message as "Advisory" not instructive. i.e., you can keep using the battery as long as you want - pay for a replacement only when the battery life becomes a concern.

The 1,000 cycle limit only applies to batteries replaced within the factory warranty. Which is kind of an oddball restriction... I suppose it's possible to get 1,000 cycles on a less-than-1-year old machine but you'd have to work at it!
In some places consumer warranty etc can go for several years, so it would be more liable elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.