Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
TBH I think it's too involved and emotional for you.

Do I really give that impression? ? I‘m a scientist by trade, I don’t get emotional over nomenclature, I care about operationalization and principal causes/reasons.

Anyway, I’m not going to push you, it’s perfectly fine if we drop this subject. And I definitely agree that computers are tools abs should be treated as such. It’s just that I (being a dandy and all) can only use tools that I find comfortable and shiny. I mean, I have a designer 2 horsepower blender at home to make my pesto ?

Queen6

macrumors G4
I know I'm not in the middle of this, but my reading of @leman's posts gave me the impression of honest dialog, not argumentation. I may be wrong, but I don't think he was trying to get into any heated debate.
Long story; disagreement, different perspectives, yet mutually respectful. Neither one is right nor wrong. We simply differ in opinion and that's what makes the forum so very vibrant. In some respects I think we work really well in tandem pointing out the positives & negatives from our own perspectives.

That said it can at times become overheated, equally I do like @leman content...

Q-6

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Actually they did. They have officially referred to it as a "low power silicon" and they only shipped it in the entry-level consumer products. The moniker "Pro" on that 13" doesn't mean anything at it was originally introduces as a replacement for the MacBook Air, using the same hardware as the Air.
Really not sure why people are so hung up on the Pro naming. Try working on 8k video or 3D modeling on the Microsoft Surface "Pro". Heck, I can't even do my After Effects projects with my surface.

Reactions: Queen6 and Tagbert

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Apple only produces one Professional system and that's the Mac Pro. Same as many the "Pro" moniker is slapped on anything & everything these days. Doesn't mean you cant use such HW in a professional role, far from it. The smart professional chooses the best tools for the job, i.e. most cost effective.

Apple provides consumer grade computing hardware barring one exception. Where I think many have got off track as few expected such performance gains in what is effectively Apple's base offerings for the Mac. You can see this across forums where some have issue, equally they have very significant workloads on these base Mac's likely beyond what they were originally designed for yet thx to the M1 SOC are capable of.

Can you imagine transferring a demanding workflow from a 16" MBP to a 13" Intel Mac? It would bring the system to a crawl yet in some use cases the current M1 is capable, equally not ideal. All the same not too shabby for a entry-level consumer product.

Q-6
So only the word "Pro" is reserved for the $50,000 version of the Mac Pro? People REALLY need to just STOP with the Pro naming complaints. Surface Pro - how much EXTREME PRO work can you do on that?!

There are a WIDE RANGE of Pro work. Its not always running 100 virtual machines, or running terabytes of statistical analysis. What about professional photographers? Programmers? Should we remove ourselves from LinkedIn as we are not considered Professional?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Do I really give that impression? ? I‘m a scientist by trade, I don’t get emotional over nomenclature, I care about operationalization and principal causes/reasons.

Anyway, I’m not going to push you, it’s perfectly fine if we drop this subject. And I definitely agree that computers are tools abs should be treated as such. It’s just that I (being a dandy and all) can only use tools that I find comfortable and shiny. I mean, I have a designer 2 horsepower blender at home to make my pesto ?
I'm with you, I'm a engineer therefore rather pragmatic and I speak my mind accordingly. You have defended Apple where clearly Apple has royally screwed up to the cost of the customer plain and simple.

I don't want this to be a push you shove me thing. I respect your views, equally respect mine. Again to be very direct I've worked with material scientist's and they were very impartial. Frankly you are clearly emotionally engaged with Apple as any negative comment you'll chime in as is the case here. Personally I don't care Linux, macOS, Windows whatever is best tool for the task at hand. They all have their negatives and they all have positives.

TLDR happy to engage, equally not interested in going to war over trivia that stop blocks the forum...

Q-6

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
So only the word "Pro" is reserved for the $50,000 version of the Mac Pro? People REALLY need to just STOP with the Pro naming complaints. Surface Pro - how much EXTREME PRO work can you do on that?!

There are a WIDE RANGE of Pro work. Its not always running 100 virtual machines, or running terabytes of statistical analysis. What about professional photographers? Programmers? Should we remove ourselves from LinkedIn as we are not considered Professional?
No your missing the point entirely....

Q-6

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
No your missing the point entirely....

Q-6
No I am just sick of the constant complaining from people on this site about the Pro. Even when the 2010 Mac Pro was new, people were complaining about it. The base GPU in that was HORRIBLE for pro users. People just need to drop the complaints about what a product is named. Surface Pro can do half of what an M1 Macbook Pro can do.

Reactions: Tagbert and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
No I am just sick of the constant complaining from people on this site about the Pro. Even when the 2010 Mac Pro was new, people were complaining about it. The base GPU in that was HORRIBLE for pro users. People just need to drop the complaints about what a product is named. Surface Pro can do half of what an M1 Macbook Pro can do.
Is just a naming convention for the masses, which generally equates to slightly better spec's & higher pricing. People who make a living with the hardware purchase what works best for their needs not a name.

My only criticism of the M1 MBP is the port solution; too few and no diversity, equally I'd be pushed to find a better alternative in the 13" class so all credit where credit is due.

Q-6

Last edited:

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
TBH I’m confused by the latest turns in this conversation … to my tired eyes it seems that people think that others are in disagreement or are going to disagree with them but in fact everyone is largely in agreement.

• Haha
Reactions: leman and Queen6

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Is just a naming convention for the masses, which generally equates to slightly better spec's & higher pricing. People who make a living with the hardware purchase what works best for their needs.

My only criticism of the M1 MBP is the port solution; too few and no diversity, equally I'd be pushed to find a better alternative in the 13" class so all credit where credit is due.

Q-6
My X1 Carbon has 2 USB-c, 2 USB-a 3.0 ports and I think an HDMI, and a MicroSD card port and SIM port. (It's not with me so I can't check for the HDMI) It's 14", but weighs about a half pound less. 16G RAM. There really are laptops out there with much more i/o capability.

My XPS15 has 2 USB-a, one USB-C, power, headphone, HDMI, and a full sized SD Card port. 32G RAM It's pretty heavy, but it has a 15" OLED that puts all my other machines to shame. (even my QLED TV and my 4K LG Monitor.)

In fact, most mid to upper end laptops have more ports than Macbooks.

My 15" 2019 intel Macbook Pro, which I probably spent more on that any other machine had 4 USB-c. 32G RAM. It died of swollen batteries.

My 2020 Intel Mac Mini has more ports than that though, and 64G RAM.

And then there's my desktop, 2 DP, 4 mini DP's, 6 USB-a, 2 USB-c (1 thunderbolt3/USB-c) All video ports can do video at the same time, mic and headphones, SD Card, Blu ray writer, and wifi6 wireless. ethernet. 128G RAM and 3 SSDs. I think that's it, I'd have to look to see if it has anything else. And it cost only a couple hundred more than my M1 MBA.

I have more machines, but nothing as good.

So yes, raw performance means something to me and power frugalness doesn't, but saying there's a lack of ports in laptops, really doesn't ring true, unless you only buy current Apple machines. I'm wondering if the new machine next week will do 64G RAM and have plenty of ports, and at the very least 8 performance cores and miniLED. I might have to think about buying.

Queen6

macrumors G4
My X1 Carbon has 2 USB-c, 2 USB-a 3.0 ports and I think an HDMI, and a MicroSD card port and SIM port. (It's not with me so I can't check for the HDMI) It's 14", but weighs about a half pound less. 16G RAM. There really are laptops out there with much more i/o capability.

My XPS15 has 2 USB-a, one USB-C, power, headphone, HDMI, and a full sized SD Card port. 32G RAM It's pretty heavy, but it has a 15" OLED that puts all my other machines to shame. (even my QLED TV and my 4K LG Monitor.)

In fact, most mid to upper end laptops have more ports than Macbooks.

My 15" 2019 intel Macbook Pro, which I probably spent more on that any other machine had 4 USB-c. 32G RAM. It died of swollen batteries.

My 2020 Intel Mac Mini has more ports than that though, and 64G RAM.

And then there's my desktop, 2 DP, 4 mini DP's, 6 USB-a, 2 USB-c (1 thunderbolt3/USB-c) All video ports can do video at the same time, mic and headphones, SD Card, Blu ray writer, and wifi6 wireless. ethernet. 128G RAM and 3 SSDs. I think that's it, I'd have to look to see if it has anything else. And it cost only a couple hundred more than my M1 MBA.

I have more machines, but nothing as good.

So yes, raw performance means something to me and power frugalness doesn't, but saying there's a lack of ports in laptops, really doesn't ring true, unless you only buy current Apple machines. I'm wondering if the new machine next week will do 64G RAM and have plenty of ports, and at the very least 8 performance cores and miniLED. I might have to think about buying.
A comment related to a specific Apple notebook not all and sundry, equally that's how it is. The performance gains tend to balance to some extents, not ideal nor unusable...

Q-6

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Relatively minor issue. Just buy the game then get a neutered Denuvo-less version. Or, possibly temporarily disabling the E-cores since they're useless for gaming anyway.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Sorry chaps, didn’t do my homework and am lazy. Why does the DRM not work? Because we assume the new low power cores can’t execute instructions like the current one can and DRM middleware depends on it? OS patch to run DRM only on “the other side” not good enough?

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
Sorry chaps, didn’t do my homework and am lazy. Why does the DRM not work? Because we assume the new low power cores can’t execute instructions like the current one can and DRM middleware depends on it? OS patch to run DRM only on “the other side” not good enough?

It sounds like the CPUID issue I brought up in the Alder Lake discussion thread here:

If I had to guess what’s happening, the DRM stops working because the P and E cores display different data in ways that previously were relied on to be the same across all cores in the CPU. So the DRM will conclude that it is not being run on the right processor and activate its security measures despite being on the correct computer. In general, various different kinds of programs that rely on this functionality will have to be recoded or forced to run only on one type of core.

UH8183

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2021
I don't know the deal with the op video but my M1 Mini loads up in the blink of an eye. Maybe they had some video software set to open on start up.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Things were so much better back in the day... going back to one of these :p
(For whatever reason this was recommended on YouTube for me today)

Reactions: LoveTo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.