Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Big disappointment for me. No additional ports, large chin, large bezels again and no option for 16 GB as well
Yes, there are additional ports. Upper models have two USB 4 (Thunderbolt) ports and two regular USB-C ports for a total of 4 ports, plus ethernet on the power brick.
Yes, there is a 16GB option as well as SSD options up to 2TB.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
A little, yeah. But when I think of what I use the ports for I realize I’m not in the target market. With Thunderbolt being daisy-chainable, this is less egregiously bad, considering the glut of TB and USB-C docks. But it’s not ideal.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have little need for plugged in peripherals any more these days, especially on something like an iMac.
Ethernet - ok, yes, that needs to be plugged in (conveniently on power brick on the new iMacs). Most people get by fine with wifi anyway.
Printer - even my crappy laser printer I use less than once a month is wireless and three rooms over.
Webcam & Mic - built-in
Keyboard/mouse - bluetooth
Camera card reader - ok, possibly. Though a lot of people are iPhone-camera based (thus wireless via iCloud) and are not using a DSLR.
Speakers - Apple clearly prefers you use the built-in speakers on the iMac. But even if you want something else you can AirPlay to HomePods or Sonos or similar.

So unless you've got "pro" (prosumer, professional) needs for things like video editing panels, MIDI interfaces, etc., odds are you're likely to be mostly wireless these days. Thus having only 4 ports on the back is ok.

I'd love to get back to the simplicity of an iMac with built-in speakers, webcam, etc. Promise me you won't look behind my desk... it's a rats-nest of DisplayPort, HDMI, USB cables and extensions, ethernet cables, audio cables, power cables, etc.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
Is anyone disappointed by the lack of ports on the new iMac? It’s a desktop computer that only has three more ports than a tablet.
The 24” iMac is not a pro machine. It’s a baseline consumer machine. The average consumer doesn’t need more than 4 ports on their Mac, and more and more tech has become wireless.
Big disappointment for me. No additional ports, large chin, large bezels again and no option for 16 GB as well
There is an option for 16gb. Go to the compare page and select the 24” iMac. It says up to 16gb of ram.

Honestly most of the complaints I’m seeing are from people who are not part of the target demographic for this iMac. If you want more ports, wait for M1X. If you want more ram, wait for M1X. If you want space grey, wait for M1X. If you want more external displays, wait for M1X. If you want a more professional design, wait for M1X.

The 24” iMac is meant for families, reception desks, offices, colleges, students, kids: essentially anyone who is not a power user.

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
The 24” iMac is meant for families, reception desks, offices, colleges, students, kids: essentially anyone who is not a power user.

Definitely! But exactly this demographics has lots of USB-A stuff lying around and would like to use it without a dongle.

My Mac mini M1 has USB-A and I use it every day. Headphones, Garmin GPS, sticks, whatever. OK I have dongles but life is easier without them. Not sure if it was a good idea to skip USB-A in the consumer M1 iMac.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
When I pre-order my 24" iMac, I am not sure if I will add the $30 Ethernet option on a base iMac (8GB, 256GB, 2 port).

I have a TB3 dongle for 3 USB-A, HDMI, USB-C port, and ethernet port.
IMG_7232.jpg

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
Definitely! But exactly this demographics has lots of USB-A stuff lying around and would like to use it without a dongle.

My Mac mini M1 has USB-A and I use it every day. Headphones, Garmin GPS, sticks, whatever. OK I have dongles but life is easier without them. Not sure if it was a good idea to skip USB-A in the consumer M1 iMac.

USB-A ports just don’t fit in the new iMac design. Headphones are usually not USB. Not sure why the average consumer needs a GPS for their stationary desktop. More and more newer storage sticks/drives are becoming USB-C.

Most collages, offices, reception desks don’t even use any of the ports besides maybe Ethernet. Printer, mouse, keyboard, many headphones, are all wireless now. The only thing most consumers may use is an external drive and those often come with usb-A to C cables anyways.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see USB-A ports, but I’m not the demographic for this iMac and I think those ports are honestly more useful for people who are going to buy a Mac mini, or an M1X Mac later on.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Is anyone disappointed by the lack of ports on the new iMac? It’s a desktop computer that only has three more ports than a tablet.
Four ports is enough for me (technically it has five), but I'd just get a hub if it were an issue.

If I had anything which required USB-A I'd just replace its cable with USB-C. Probably keep an adapter in the desk drawer for the odd thumb drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlindBandit

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
I was disappointed, if I’m honest. Not sure why USB A couldn’t have been included. If and when I buy an iMac again though, it’ll be the 27” version. It’s a shame there isn’t an M1 27” yet.

If you want a desktop M1 Mac with the same 27" 5k that is in the Intel 27" iMac, just buy the M1 Mini and the 5k LG Ultrafine. You can even spec a 100GB ethernet port on the Mini now and it has two USB-A ports and you get to chose your own keyboard and mouse too. It's even got a real cooling system and will be much easier to repair.

I have to say I am surprised how expensive the M1 iMac is relative to the M1 Mini. When I bought my 2020 27" iMac last year I looked at the Intel Mini. It was just too expensive relative to the 27" iMac. The CPU is the same as the one in the 21" Intel iMac that has just been replaced and the GPU is a joke. With the M1 OTOH, the Mini is clearly the better option.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
I was disappointed. Not at the lack of ports, as I'm not in the target market for this machine. I was disappointed that the higher end machines are still in the future.
I was not. I expected the higher end machines to still be in the future. The M1 is basically an iPad Pro class of SoC with some Mac friendly enhancements such as Thunderbolt and more RAM. With one SoC Apple has been able to update five different product lines. It was not surprising to me at all that they would announce M1 based iPad Pros and smaller iMacs. Both those product lines were long overdue for a refresh.

It will take more time to equal the higher end GPUs in the 2020 iMac, Mac Pro and even the 16" MBP. The M1 is giving the CPUs in the 16" MBP a hard time but the desktop Mac's Intel CPUs are faster and have more cooling and power available to them. The Mac Pro in particular can be configured with a 28 core CPU and 1.5 TB of RAM with 64GB of video RAM. Even the iMac can be configured with 10 high speed cores and 128GB of system RAM and 16GB of Video RAM.

Reactions: BlindBandit

MevetS

Cancelled
Dec 27, 2018
I was not. I expected the higher end machines to still be in the future. The M1 is basically an iPad Pro class of SoC with some Mac friendly enhancements such as Thunderbolt and more RAM. With one SoC Apple has been able to update five different product lines. It was not surprising to me at all that they would announce M1 based iPad Pros and smaller iMacs. Both those product lines were long overdue for a refresh.

It will take more time to equal the higher end GPUs in the 2020 iMac, Mac Pro and even the 16" MBP. The M1 is giving the CPUs in the 16" MBP a hard time but the desktop Mac's Intel CPUs are faster and have more cooling and power available to them. The Mac Pro in particular can be configured with a 28 core CPU and 1.5 TB of RAM with 64GB of video RAM. Even the iMac can be configured with 10 high speed cores and 128GB of system RAM and 16GB of Video RAM.
I don't disagree, I was just hoping it would be a faster rollout.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.