Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Maybe my expectations were a bit too high.
I recently picked up an M1 iPad Pro that was on sale, and I figured it would be a giant leap over my other devices.
But it turns out the export time in iMovie isn’t nearly that much faster than my iPhone 11. Or for that matter my iPad Pro 10.5. I’m not sure it’s worth the price. Don’t get me wrong. The screen is glorious. And it’s a real pleasure to use this device. But the one aspect I was really looking forward to was the supposedly much faster processor.
Doing some tests with the same clip, turns out a 30 minute clip in HEVC (11GB) ended up exporting in 20 minutes in iMovie compared to my iPhone 11 exporting in 24 minutes. Really?
I was sort of dismayed watching the slow progress bar on the M1 iPad Pro.
After that, I took that 30 minute exported clip (now down to 5GB from the original 11GB) and created a 10 minute clip.
I took that duplicate 10 minute clip and exported on the 10.5 iPad Pro vs the M1.
The M1 was only 45 seconds faster. Wut?
I‘m still in a long return window (Costco!) so I’m starting to question even needing the M1.
I suppose it’s a testament to Apple making great efficient chips, so even an iPhone 11 can still go toe to toe with an M1.
Then again, it’s a little disappointing to see the M1 not ahead by leaps and bounds.
Live and learn.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Maybe my expectations were a bit too high.
I recently picked up an M1 iPad Pro that was on sale, and I figured it would be a giant leap over my other devices.
But it turns out the export time in iMovie isn’t nearly that much faster than my iPhone 11. Or for that matter my iPad Pro 10.5. I’m not sure it’s worth the price. Don’t get me wrong. The screen is glorious. And it’s a real pleasure to use this device. But the one aspect I was really looking forward to was the supposedly much faster processor.
Doing some tests with the same clip, turns out a 30 minute clip in HEVC (11GB) ended up exporting in 20 minutes in iMovie compared to my iPhone 11 exporting in 24 minutes. Really?
I was sort of dismayed watching the slow progress bar on the M1 iPad Pro.
After that, I took that 30 minute exported clip (now down to 5GB from the original 11GB) and created a 10 minute clip.
I took that duplicate 10 minute clip and exported on the 10.5 iPad Pro vs the M1.
The M1 was only 45 seconds faster. Wut?
I‘m still in a long return window (Costco!) so I’m starting to question even needing the M1.
I suppose it’s a testament to Apple making great efficient chips, so even an iPhone 11 can still go toe to toe with an M1.
Then again, it’s a little disappointing to see the M1 not ahead by leaps and bounds.
Live and learn.
I have been exporting a few videos from Lumafusion from my A12X pro and my M1 pro and indeed export time difference is definitely not night and day... To the point that I prefer working with my 2018 one since it has more storage...

Reactions: BB1970

BB1970

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2009
I have been exporting a few videos from Lumafusion from my A12X pro and my M1 pro and indeed export time difference is definitely not night and day... To the point that I prefer working with my 2018 one since it has more storage...
I too picked up the M1 iPad Pro with more storage (512GB). The shuffling around large video files got old on the 256 iPhone and older iPad Pro. It’s the one reason I may keep it as the mini only does 256.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
These experiences, which differs massively compared to Youtube benchmarks and specifically Apple's always deceiving in-house benchmarks and sometimes grossly misleading marketing materials, IMO should dictate what a true "real world" experience should look like.

I would not say M1 is not powerful. They definitely aren't weak. Playing genshin on A12X is (or was, should I say) just not as smooth as playing on M1, and I can comfortably enjoy 60fps on M1 while on A12X I drop more frames than what 60fps would bring to me.

However, if your experience gives you the impression that M1 is not powerful, don't get swayed by other people's arguments "devaluing" your experience, cause what you experience cannot be invalidated by anyone else.

Reactions: BB1970

BB1970

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2009
These experiences, which differs massively compared to Youtube benchmarks and specifically Apple's always deceiving in-house benchmarks and sometimes grossly misleading marketing materials, IMO should dictate what a true "real world" experience should look like.

I would not say M1 is not powerful. They definitely aren't weak. Playing genshin on A12X is (or was, should I say) just not as smooth as playing on M1, and I can comfortably enjoy 60fps on M1 while on A12X I drop more frames than what 60fps would bring to me.

However, if your experience gives you the impression that M1 is not powerful, don't get swayed by other people's arguments "devaluing" your experience, cause what you experience cannot be invalidated by anyone else.
I know the M1 is powerful. Looking at cpu usage for my music apps (I’m a part time musician) and seeing it barely move is such a joy knowing I have a ton of headroom. But I was suprised as how it compared to the iPhone 11 in particular. Since I wrote the original post, two things have happened. One, I decided to keep the M1 Pro. The screen and overall experience is difficult to give up. And two, I modified my workflow so that the iPhone 11 will still do the long video rendering, and I’ll use the M1 for more or less the standard editing things (as I did before with my 10.5). It’s not a perfect solution (Perfect would have been the ability to edit the raw footage at a blazing fast speed on the M1 from a phone that had usb c 3.2 speeds). It’s all fine. I saved a decent amount as it was on sale so any lackluster performance I feel can be offset by those savings. At least… that’s how I rationalize it.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
iMovie is trash app. Use LumaFusion. Way more faster and have more options on my iPad 2018 Pro 11”. And thats right, iPhone 11 Pro was way faster in iMovie than iPad.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2009
iMovie is trash app. Use LumaFusion. Way more faster and have more options on my iPad 2018 Pro 11”. And thats right, iPhone 11 Pro was way faster in iMovie than iPad.

I know. My needs are so basic though I haven’t had the motivation to learn luma. I’ve had it for years and never got around to it. Though the bigger 12.9 screen opposed to my previous 10.5 make’s it alot more inspiring to learn.
Good call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.