Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oofio2461

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
438
1,884
 Full Moon
Hello, I've been looking for a new Macbook for studies in Late August, the M1 looks really cheap, but the M2 looks nice and there are some rumors about an M3 model, should I buy an M1, M2 MBA now or wait for M3 MBA? I want a 13-in model, since I had issues with traveling on bigger laptops!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Mity

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
6,152
9,209
USA
Well, I think it’s going to depend on when the M3 comes out. I haven’t kept up with rumors, so I guess you can wait till the last possible minute to buy.

I’d say if you’re on a tight budget get the M1 because it is going to do the same thing. I have the M2 and that’s perfect because I like MagSafe charging. Although it’s not as quite as important now that the battery lasts so long. I remember keeping my Intel MacBook plugged in because the battery didn’t last very long but this thing is crazy.
 
  • Like
Reactions: hobowankenobi

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
2,536
5,751
Austin TX
If you don’t need the laptop until late August then I would wait. Most rumors are pointing to some sort of Air update either in April or at WWDC in June. Either way, you lose nothing by waiting and have potentially more to gain. Either you get the newer model or you get the M1 or M2 at a bigger discount. Either way, you win.

M3 is potentially beneficial for a fanless design like the Air. Since it will be on a newer manufacturing process, it should offer the same performance as M2 with less power draw/heat or more performance at the same power draw (or some combination of the two). Again, if you don’t need it right now, you’re better off waiting unless some crazy good sale on the M2 model comes along.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Misheemee

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
905
447
Key West FL
If you can wait then wait, but don't wait to the last minute. Get your replacement by June at the very latest. Don't let delivery issues/delays prevent you from getting the new device in time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Misheemee

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
5,966
2,563
Los Angeles, CA
Hello, I've been looking for a new Macbook for studies in Late August, the M1 looks really cheap, but the M2 looks nice and there are some rumors about an M3 model, should I buy an M1, M2 MBA now or wait for M3 MBA? I want a 13-in model, since I had issues with traveling on bigger laptops!
The M1 MacBook Air is going to be plenty sufficient for pretty much any thing you'd ever need it for for school. You can get an Apple Certified Refurbished M1 MacBook Air with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of storage for $1400 (1360 if you don't care about having unnoticeably weaker graphics). Obviously, that's even cheaper if you get it with 512GB of storage instead. Either way, that will surely cover your needs.
 

Basic75

macrumors 68010
May 17, 2011
2,000
2,346
Europe
Wait until you need a computer, then buy a computer. This means you never buy one in advance of needing it. And if you really need one, don't wait
Exactly. This question gets asked all the time, as using the search function would reveal, and the answer is always the same. Need a computer now? Get one now. You don't need one? Why are you asking what to buy?
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.