Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
I just tested my M1 MBA screen uniformity and I find that there is noticeable red glow on the right side when display black image. Can other MBA M1 owners please test display full screen black image in a dark room with different brightness setting (it is very noticeable with brighter setting)?
Also I notice this red glow on the black bar when viewing video with black bars on the top and bottom (like 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie).

White image uniformity is good, no noticeable reddish then at the same location.

Also going above black image says 5% - 10% gray there is still this glow.

Please test so that I see if it is worth to enter panel lottery or is this common with MBA M1?
My MBP 2019 13" did not have this.

EDIT: Please mention your machine serial number first two and 5th character, so we can compare if they are from the same factory and what is manufacturing week?

Here is image how it looks with black image with display brightness 100%. Of course camera makes it looks a bit worse but it is still very obvious and surely can be seen with lower brightness setting. Please test and comment.
black_image_100_brightness.jpg

Last edited:

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Here is white test image and as can be seen, it is pretty good and there is absolutely no red tint on the right side!
white.jpg

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
My MBA has the red glow. I think it's normal.
Thanks for testing! You tried with full black image and 100% brightness as I mentioned in my first post and the red glow is only on the other side (right side in my case and worse in upper right corner)?
Can you notice the same red glow on the upper right if you watch video with black bars on the top and bottom?

But yes, I'm afraid this might be "normal" for this panel as it seems otherwise uniformity is good.
I would be good if other MBA M1 owner could test theirs to see how common this is, or are they all like this?

Otherwise display is not bad at all. It is not as good as my previous MBP 2019 13" but I knew it was not going to be the same specs display, so it is otherwise still very much as I expected.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
my MBP 2015 was awful for uniformity. My MBA M1 has some slight bleed lower left hand side but much better.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
my MBP 2015 was awful for uniformity. My MBA M1 has some slight bleed lower left hand side but much better.
Yeah, mine does not have really any light bleeding but this red glow.

Can you please check your MBA M1 for red glow as I described in first post of this thread? It would really help.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
downloaded a black desktop background, full brightness looks greyish all over. spoilt for blacks on my QLED tv haha.

however mine does look lighter on the bottom lower left but I can't see much red.

edit

looking at it again the whole left hand side looks lighter , noticed this when I first got it, but its not a massive issue. I have yet to see any display that is perfect. the lightness on the left makes the right hand side look a tiny bit red but not much

Reactions: Robospungo

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
one thing I will say, if you aren't happy with it and your eyes keep getting drawn to it, see if others in Apple stores are the same, if not, return it.

I got my MBP 2015 full spec as a refurb from apple, it hadn't even been used much. I realised too late why this was. The Screen was awful, I think it had been opened and returned. So I tended not to use it as much, because the screen was so bad uniformity wise.
However if you look for issues, like turning screen up full and sitting in a dark room, all screens will see some kind of uniformity issue :)

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
downloaded a black desktop background, full brightness looks greyish all over. spoilt for blacks on my QLED tv haha.

however mine does look lighter on the bottom lower left but I can't see much red.

edit

looking at it again the whole left hand side looks lighter , noticed this when I first got it, but its not a massive issue. I have yet to see any display that is perfect. the lightness on the left makes the right hand side look a tiny bit red but not much
Sounds like not all suffer from this red glow then. You tested it in dark environment? Also viewing straight, because I noticed it changes from the angle, but definitely reddish on the right side when viewing straight.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
one thing I will say, if you aren't happy with it and your eyes keep getting drawn to it, see if others in Apple stores are the same, if not, return it.
Unfortunately no Apple stores here and shops having these models on display are so bright that it is impossible to test there.

However if you look for issues, like turning screen up full and sitting in a dark room, all screens will see some kind of uniformity issue :)
Well, I noticed this reddish on the black bars on videos like 2.35:1 aspect ratio even in a dim room. But most evident and easiest to test it is to display full black image and 100% brightness. That's why I asked other MBA M1 owners to test so we see if this is a common issue or just few suffering from it.

Otherwise I got so nice unit I'd hate to enter new lottery and end up with other issues too (and maybe learn that all displays are like this in new MBA M1).

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I know what you mean about viewing it in videos, tbh I notice the brightness difference on mine when watching videos. But, coming from a £2000 machine that was infinity worse, I'm ok with this as its not that bad 99% of the time.

I've just turned my lights off and tv, tried it again and all I notice is much brighter on the left hand side when at full brightness on a dark screen. Not red. I have what you have on your lower and mid left hand side, greenish tint but not red , sorry.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
I know what you mean about viewing it in videos, tbh I notice the brightness difference on mine when watching videos. But, coming from a £2000 machine that was infinity worse, I'm ok with this as its not that bad 99% of the time.
Mine does not have brightness difference, just this reddish hue on black bars and mostly on the upper bar right hand side. Not traditional flashlight light leak.

I've just turned my lights off and tv, tried it again and all I notice is much brighter on the left hand side when at full brightness on a dark screen. Not red. I have what you have on your lower and mid left hand side, greenish tint but not red , sorry.
Mine is not really greenish on the left side, it is just camera that pick up this hue. Also red on the right side is not that strong as photo shows but I can easily see it there. I don't really notice image being brighter in any parts even displaying full black image in a dark room, just this damn reddish tint on the right side...
So you use True Tone? My photos were with it on but red tint it is there always in black image.

Please other MBA M1 owner, try this so we see how common it is?

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Thanks. Do you notice right side being reddish when you use with dark images or videos? Or you notice that in anywhere other than this test? How is your white image uniformity. Mine is very good actually (I posted that too here).
Also yours look different that mine, not sure you even have the same issue but I notice you have 3-4 small light leaks on the bottom (really not bad it that is 100% brightness and black image).

I also see from your photo that photo is taken a bit angled. Can you try take one straight in the middle? I noticed that screen coating or something changes the image a lot from angle.

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks. Do you notice right side being reddish when you use with dark images or videos? Or you notice that in anywhere other than this test? How is your white image uniformity. Mine is very good actually (I posted that too here).
Also yours look different that mine, not sure you even have the same issue but I notice you have 3-4 small light leaks on the bottom (really not bad it that is 100% brightness and black image).

I also see from your photo that photo is taken a bit angled. Can you try take one straight in the middle? I noticed that screen coating or something changes the image a lot from angle.

No. I never use it at 100% brightness. I only use it indoors.
I also have a screen film protector on and yes it was taken at an angle.
My white screen looks prefect as well.
It does not bother me. I personally don't see any noticeable light bleed and do not see any screen uniformity issues while watching videos (nothing that I see).
I have a rather perfect machine and do not want to play the screen lottery as I think it is hard to find an LCD screen that is "prefect".
Hopefully one day these machines will come with a 4k OLED display :)

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
No. I never use it at 100% brightness. I only use it indoors.
Do you still see with your own eyes what shows in the picture you posted? Some reddish on the right side but not in the corners as it looks like from your photo?

My white screen looks prefect as well.
Mine too, maybe even a bit better than was in my MBP but it was perfect in black screen and video black bars.

I'd hate to enter display lottery. Also it would be again weeks wait to get one, and who knows what is then wrong with it....

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
IMHO it’s too red (IPS glow). You should send back and ask for a replacement...

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
IMHO it’s too red (IPS glow). You should send back and ask for a replacement...
Do you have MBA M1? You don't see the same issue (or similar) there?

It is so shame because otherwise display is very good. White uniformity is actually very good in this unit and I know it is pretty common issue with many LCD, so hate to end up with one.

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Sorry I have not, but all my MBPs have really a good display. I had a similar issue with my 2015 MBP time ago and I sent it back for a replacement, the new one was perfect. Believe me, exchange it and let me know how is the replacement.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Sorry I have not, but all my MBPs have really a good display. I had a similar issue with my 2015 MBP time ago and I sent it back for a replacement, the new one was perfect. Believe me, exchange it and let me know how is the replacement.
I know MBP has better display but this is new MBA and I'm not sure they are that perfect. As others already comment in this thread. I guess I'll wait for some more comments on this until make my move.

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
I've never seen any LCD panel I would call 'perfect'.

My M1 MBP has virtually no backlight bleed along with noticeably deeper blacks, compared to 2017 MBP, which has a pretty hot corner that can jump out with video in darker environments. Unfortunately the M1 doesn't have quite the white uniformity of the 2017, though... the bottom third of the panel looks a bit more yellow / darker. I'm not sure that it's bad enough for me to bother returning it, as I don't tend to notice it unless I look for it.

I wonder if the MiniLED MacBooks on the horizon will give better yields as far as brightness distribution goes.

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011

My M1 MBP has virtually no backlight bleed along with noticeably deeper blacks, compared to 2017 MBP, which has a pretty hot corner that can jump out with video in darker environments. Unfortunately the M1 doesn't have quite the white uniformity of the 2017, though... the bottom third of the panel looks a bit more yellow / darker. I'm not sure that it's bad enough for me to bother returning it, as I don't tend to notice it unless I look for it.

I wonder if the MiniLED MacBooks on the horizon will give better yields as far as brightness distribution goes.
same..the right side edge is a bit darker on my new M1 MacBook. I had a intel 2020 MacBook that had the same darkness on the same side.. I'm a little bummed about it, but scared to try for a replacement as I've seen 2 already with this issue.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Yes, I'm too one of those who find something to complain about every display, not just LCD (don't even ask what my opinion with OLED uniformity is).

My previous MBP 2019 13" also had much much deeper blacks than my new MBA M1 but brightness is still pretty nice on this MBA, not quite as bright but fine for me as I never run it 100% anyway (well other than during these tests I run when machine is new).

My MBP also had very good white uniformity, nothing really to complain about but I must say my new MBA might be even better with white uniformity. Only this black uniformity with red glow on the right is disturbing.
That's why I'm not sure I want to go back to display lottery trying to get perfect black image and risk white uniformity. Because two demo MBA's I saw in local shop both had pretty bad white uniformity (they both had kind of blue left edge of the display and it was very noticeable even in bright store lightning). So my first thing I tested when I got my MBA was to test this, and then only later to find out this black screen "issue" (I of course quickly checked backlight leaking and found my MBA is perfect - not leaking).

I'm afraid not. It will surely bring excellent black levels and possibility to display full black even with some bright content on the display at the same time, but as far as uniformity I'm pretty sure they will be worse.

same..the right side edge is a bit darker on my new M1 MacBook. I had a intel 2020 MacBook that had the same darkness on the same side.. I'm a little bummed about it, but scared to try for a replacement as I've seen 2 already with this issue.
You mean Macbook AIR or Pro models? Is this marked right side visible in white image too, or just black? Mine seems pretty perfect with white image, no noticeable difference in brightness between left and right edge. Only when I display full black or below say 10% grey images. Could you post pictures how yours look like?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.