Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Dude keeps yapping about "epic fail" but doesn't even understand such a simple thing as a weighted average.

EPIC. FAIL.
Nor the concept of making the right business decision given the current realities. Whether the M2 is what Apple intended or not, the fact that Apple found the means to mass produce a brand new chip and laptop design is better than almost any competitor could do right now.

Reactions: Razorpit and boak

matt_and_187_like_this

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
These chips are great, but then again they are quite a scam. I mean, this is a >2 year old chip by now. This must be a first in computer history. Props to Apple, that they're able to sell that.

• Haha
Reactions: Razorpit

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
It doesn't make sense not to price drop it.

I remember in the early Intel days, Steve Jobs kept that white macbook at a low price point to remove any barrier of entry to people going into the mac ecosystem. It's good to keep one device kind of lower just to hook folks and get them into the Apple services/hardware world.

I do have to say the new MBA isn't a bad price. Surprised me, even here in Canada.

Reactions: Razorpit

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
No one arguing the fact it has still 256gb ssd?? Imagine Porsches sold with 15” rims in the base versions. Pretty ridicolous. In 2 years, maybe, for buy such a small ssd u’ll have to look for it in an antiques store. For 100€ u can buy a nvme gen4 1tb with 5000+ mbps R/W values and u get just 256gb on a 1500€ pc. Shame on u Tim!

averagenerd81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2020
Out there man
Wanted to replace my wife's M1 Air as I like the new design and the addition of the charge port is great, but ... then I woke up and realized the M1 is fast "enough" for every single thing she does (same for me). The M2 being faster just simply wouldn't be felt at this point.

To the person constantly replying in this thread that Apple pulled an Epic fail, I suggest you design your own silicon since clearly you could do better. It still amazes me how people can not simply just enjoy the products. If Apple has epic failed .. I suggest checking out the plethora of Windows based solutions out there.

asdfjkl;

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
Imagine Tim Cook standing on stage in front of a "Single core performance" comparison graphic that shows ZERO percent improvement. Think about that for a while and maybe you'll all begin to understand.Clear
Marketing can call it whatever they want, but in reality it's an M1 chip with more GPUs and memory.
Clearly single core performance has improved and a decent amount, too. #troll

asdfjkl;

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
I don't think they need to present anything - it is simple arithmetic. Both M1 and M2 have the same number and type of CPU cores, so if the total is 18% greater then each core will also be greater. We don't know the exact distribution of this increase across the performance and efficiency cores, but both of these contribute to Geekbench scores, so inevitably the single thread score will be somewhat higher. We'll start to see some GB5 scores over the next few weeks and all will be revealed.
Thank you for explaining the grade school math to this crowd. It should be shocking to me that people are so math illiterate, but I suppose I shouldn't be.

TakeshimaIslands

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2020
"Apple is also selling the 13-inch MacBook Pro with an M2 chip and that machine is priced starting at $1299, $100 more expensive than the base M2 MacBook Air."

That's misleading because you are not comparing like for like, the pro has got 10 core gpu standard but a $100 cost option on the air. if you spec a 10core gpu air it will be the same price as the pro which is still a faster machine due to its big chungus chassis and fan to keep the M2 cool and maintain higher clocks for longer. You also get longer battery life due to more cells and a touchbar.

I'd just watch their Refurbished page if I was after one of these.
Good call. refurb page will be flooded with M1 Airs because people want the shiny new midnight blue m2 but i don't think that matters because most big box stores and amazon offer M1 airs with huge discounts anyway.

No one arguing the fact it has still 256gb ssd?? Imagine Porsches sold with 15” rims in the base versions. Pretty ridicolous. In 2 years, maybe, for buy such a small ssd u’ll have to look for it in an antiques store. For 100€ u can buy a nvme gen4 1tb with 5000+ mbps R/W values and u get just 256gb on a 1500€ pc. Shame on u Tim!

Same here. Too many apologists and shareholders defending Apples ridiculous greed under Tim, I don't care about supply chain issues in china, why should consumers be punished because the ccps lockdowns imprisoning workers in the factories to pump out computers and the resulting chaos and disruption? Timmy is in charge of a multi trillion dollar company and should never put all his eggs in one basket producing computers in one country run by a totalitarian regime in the first place.

The excuse of muh’ inflation and supply disruption still does not justify 20% price increase with the M1.5 notchbook air with a slightly slimmer chassis, magsafe (hello 2007!) and different color options. If massive inflation and supply chain issue is as bad as people are implying the M1 air which costs virtually the same to build as the M2 would increase in price but the M1 still sells for 999.

Its all down to the post Steve Jobs culture at apple, would Steve release 256gb storage 8gb ram computer in 2022 for 1200USD? Absolutely not because that’s insane greed but Tim looking higher margins surrounded by his ivy league educated consultants and wall street bean counters give the ok to sell trash specs computer with 20% price increase because normalizing trash stock specs=makes the upsell look more attractive = stonks

Its a shame because the M1 is great value for money and the M2 looks great plus the extra power jump but the I hate the price gouging from apple.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Not surprising. Has Apple ever priced lower than $899 for a laptop?

The M1 Air's keyboard was my second favorite laptop keyboard ever, so I might consider a mid tier Air to replace my M1 MBP which doesn't do much heavy lifting.

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
"Apple is also selling the 13-inch MacBook Pro with an M2 chip and that machine is priced starting at $1299, $100 more expensive than the base M2 MacBook Air."

That's misleading because you are not comparing like for like, the pro has got 10 core gpu standard but a $100 cost option on the air. if you spec a 10core gpu air it will be the same price as the pro which is still a faster machine due to its big chungus chassis and fan to keep the M2 cool and maintain higher clocks for longer. You also get longer battery life due to more cells and a touchbar.
Not only that. The M2 MBP is actually cheaper than the 10-core GPU M2 MBA in some countries.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
It’s egregious that their minimum specs still have a 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM

I’m kinda losing respect for Apple to be honest. That’s such a lackluster user experience for entry level consumers

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
It’s a ten year old design and a two year old processor. It should’ve gotten a price drop to $899 ($799 for education).
EVERYTHING is becoming more expensive. The scandemic destroyed the world economy. Between the things thaqt actually were effected, to businesses taking advantage of the situation to increase their margins, it's amazing they didn't raise the prices on the M1 Air.

You think things are expensive now? I'm afraid I've got a bit of bad news for you...

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
It doesn't make sense not to price drop it.

Considering inflation lately, them keeping the same price is effectively a price drop.

The car I bought 5 years ago is worth more on the used market right than what I paid for it new. Couldn't even buy the same thing with double the mileage right now and it's not a collectible or anything fancy.

Except for a few stocks and precious metals everything is going up in price a lot lately and it's not gonna stop with pandemics, food shortages and wars going on.

Reactions: Tagbert

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Same here. Too many apologists and shareholders defending Apples ridiculous greed under Tim, I don't care about supply chain issues in china, why should consumers be punished because the ccps lockdowns imprisoning workers in the factories to pump out computers and the resulting chaos and disruption? Timmy is in charge of a multi trillion dollar company and should never put all his eggs in one basket producing computers in one country run by a totalitarian regime in the first place.

The excuse of muh’ inflation and supply disruption still does not justify 20% price increase with the M1.5 notchbook air with a slightly slimmer chassis, magsafe (hello 2007!) and different color options. If massive inflation and supply chain issue is as bad as people are implying the M1 air which costs virtually the same to build as the M2 would increase in price but the M1 still sells for 999.

Its all down to the post Steve Jobs culture at apple, would Steve release 256gb storage 8gb ram computer in 2022 for 1200USD? Absolutely not because that’s insane greed but Tim looking higher margins surrounded by his ivy league educated consultants and wall street bean counters give the ok to sell trash specs computer with 20% price increase because normalizing trash stock specs=makes the upsell look more attractive = stonks

Its a shame because the M1 is great value for money and the M2 looks great plus the extra power jump but the I hate the price gouging from apple.
You do realize that the MBA has always had an introductory price of $1,199 when a new design is released. Apple has been doing this for the last three iterations over the last 12 years. After production ramps up, the price drifts down to the familiar $999 after a couple of years. Apple will do spec bumps along the way as well. I don’t see this as insane greed or something at all unusual. Look at the MBA introductory price in 2010 when Jobs was running the show. Look at the specs. This introductory pricing is very much in line with the MBA’s product placement and history.

• Love
Reactions: asdfjkl;

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
MBA was initially $1799
Got to $1199 by 2012 release

None of that matters, especially now in an era of ASi and Apple not having to pay Intel

$999 is the base price they'd gotten to - and it was a good one to hit

Latest MBA is a 20% price hike, no matter which way we slice it.
Justifying that by looking at long ago historical data is completely arbitrary and not a useful defense of anything really.

"Leaving the old one around at $999" is also not relevant

The newest and latest entry spec MBA just got a 20% price hike.
That's the start and end of the story. The rest is a distraction

Reactions: ian87w

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
MBA was initially $1799
Got to $1199 by 2012 release
Yes, but in fairness that was the 2008 model, when ssd was super expensive. Then, when the wedge shape was introduced in late 2010, it was $1,199….or thereabouts. Anyway, I agree that the introductory pricing for this new model is in line with prior releases. Also, in 2017, when the retina model was released for $1,199, Apple kept the prior model around for a year or two at $999.

The fact that this is a new design and a new release is relevant. There are fixed cost associated with setting up new production tooling and manufacturing processes. As production ramps up and volume increases, the same margin can be maintained at lower sales prices. So, I would expect the price to drop to the familiar $999 in the next couple of years. This is what has happened in the past anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Yes, but in fairness that was the 2008 model, when ssd was super expensive. Then, when the wedge shape was introduced in late 2010, it was $1,199….or thereabouts. Anyway, I agree that the introductory pricing for this new model is in line with prior releases. Also, in 2017, when the retina model was released for $1,199, Apple kept the prior model around for a year or two at $999.

Still think they need to endeavor to always be hitting $999 for the latest offering.

That really should be doable and the expectation now that they've brought the chip costs in house.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Still think they need to endeavor to always be hitting $999 for the latest offering.

That really should be doable and the expectation now that they've brought the chip costs in house.
Well, I would prefer the $999 price as well. But, I get the reason for the current pricing. In addition to new production tooling and manufacturing processes for the new design and components, they will need to ramp up production of the M2 chip, and right now that cost needs to be reflected in the new MBA and the old MBP. As more of their product line uses this chip, volume will increase and unit cost will drop.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
A $CDN200 spike in a base M2 over the 'old' M1 which, trust me, Apple will dump at the earliest convenience. To them.

Meanwhile, I discover my 2017 Air doesn't make the cut for the new OS. Grrr.

• Love

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
But the multicore score is based on the combination of single-core scores and is approximately the sum of the single cores (performance and efficiency) minus the scheduling overhead and/or effects of variable core frequencies when all cores are active.

You seem to think single core and multi-core are somehow independent metrics - they are not. If the multicore score increases, and you have the same number and type of cores, then so too must the single core scores increase. I can't see any way they can not.
Completely wrong. Multi-core performance is NOT simply the sum of single core performance. Multi-core measures how efficient each core can work without impacting (blocking) other cores. For example, It makes no sense if all other cores must wait for a single core to access memory. Multicore metrics (tests) strive to be independent of Single core because multicore measures the efficiency of the memory bus architecture.

• Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.