Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xdever

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
I don't think this is related to the quality of the dongle in any way. I think Apple just really messed up the implementation of the USB PD standard.

Mine died after connecting it to an original Thinkpad X1 Carbon charger, which I used for a year and am still using since without any problems on my X1. In fact, this charger costs more than the official Apple one. I also used it a few times with the Macbook before it eventually died immediately after connecting it to the charger.

• Angry
Reactions: Gudi and Leon1das

HatMine

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
C:/
I don't think this is related to the quality of the dongle in any way. I think Apple just really messed up the implementation of the USB PD standard.

Mine died after connecting it to an original Thinkpad X1 Carbon charger, which I used for a year and am still using since without any problems on my X1. In fact, this charger costs more than the official Apple one. I also used it a few times with the Macbook before it eventually died immediately after connecting it to the charger.
Yeah that could be it. Like I wrote in my post, you should probably only use the included adapter and cable and plug them directly into your machine. At least until Apple responds.

Reactions: Gudi and 1240766

xdever

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
Note also this:

The following Reddit posts might also be an interesting source of information:

https://www.reddit.com/r/macbook/comments/kge24m https://www.reddit.com/r/macbook/comments/k359t1

mwidjaya

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Australia

It's looking like it, isn't it.

I am still a big fan of the old magsafe charging system. Propriety, but works so well.

Taisho

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2020
Last edited:

anonymous888

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2018
India
Yeah, people are quick to jump and say "Use original exorbitantly prices Apple accessories."
One of the benefits of the new MacBook I was looking for was that I won't have to lug around different chargers and cables always. Now there are issues with GAN charger, USB hubs, and whatnot.

Cancelled
Nov 2, 2020
Yeah that could be it. Like I wrote in my post, you should probably only use the included adapter and cable and plug them directly into your machine. At least until Apple responds.

Roger that, it sucks but it is the safest path.

Edit: I have also used the USB-C charger directly from my Dell monitor, no issues at all.

Last edited:

Taisho

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2020
I just ordered a USB-C 7-in-1 off amazon...Is the issue only when using it to CHARGE your MBA, or can it brick otherwise?
I don't think it is confirmed exactly how it happens, but I was charging my MBA through the USB-C hub when it bricked.

Taisho

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2020
I scoured a few reddit/MacRumors threads and compiled a list of adapters that have caused m1 macs to brick. I see a general trend here so I will section them:

USB-C Multiport Hub Adapters
These all look very similar - the main difference seems to be the brand
  1. ZMUIPNG 10 IN 1 Type C Dongle
  2. Anker 7-in1 USB C Adapter (user 3nennetaro reports "service battery" warning)
  3. HOPLAZA USB-C Dock Adapter 7 IN 1
  4. Dodocool USB C Hub 14 in 1
  5. BYTTRON USB C Multiport Adapter 13-in-1
  6. VAYOX VA00117w1
  7. Green Cell Docking Station/Adapter/Hub USB-C 7 ports
  8. MOKIN USB C Hub HDMI Adapter 7 in 1 (may not be the exact product)
  9. MOKIN USB C Adapter 9 in 1 (this is what bricked mine)

Other Adapters
  1. CalDigit MiniDock
  2. LENTION USB-C Multiport Hub
  3. uni USB C Hub 8 in 1
Chargers
  1. GAN Charger from AliExpress (may not be the exact product)
  2. Lenovo USB Charger for ThinkPad X1 Carbon (may not be the exact product)
If you have an adapter that looks like the ones in the first section, I really do not recommend using it to charge your M1 Macs.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

anonymous888

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2018
India
I don't think it is confirmed exactly how it happens, but I was charging my MBA through the USB-C hub when it bricked.
I have been using Qgeem Hub (for charging too) with my M1 MBA for almost a month. So is my hub safe or should I avoid charging from it from now on?
I did experience issues with the GAN charger where the MacBook stopped charging temporarily. So I have avoided using it since then.

And what is Apple's responce? Do they blame the consumer or replace the unit hassle free? I am in India, we don't really have good consumer laws here.

HatMine

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
C:/
I have been using Qgeem Hub (for charging too) with my M1 MBA for almost a month. So is my hub safe or should I avoid charging from it from now on?
I did experience issues with the GAN charger where the MacBook stopped charging temporarily. So I have avoided using it since then.

And what is Apple's responce? Do they blame the consumer or replace the unit hassle free? I am in India, we don't really have good consumer laws here.
I thought Apple provided 90 days free support in all countries, regardless of where you bought the machine? You should be able to call them and ask about this.

Reactions: Quackers

Taisho

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2020

I am unsure how to get a response from Apple on the subject especially since the problem does not seem that common.

To me, your hub looks very similar to the hubs that have caused the issue, so I'd avoid using it to charge the M1 MBA. Personally, I had been using my hub for ~3-4 days without issues. It was only when I reconnected to my MBA one day that it bricked.

I am currently in the process of getting a refund, and it has been relatively hassle free. However, I do live in the US, and I am still within the return window.

Alenkore

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
Do you have another Mac besides the M1? If you do, there is a way to startup a dead M1 with another Mac. Do a search on the procedure, or, better yet if you can contact Apple support for instructions.
I'm just passing by to inform you that I tried this way and it didn't work. No luck. Taking this to the Apple store on Thursday.

For me the incriminated Hub was an AUKEY, just to add it to your list.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
It is usually been recommended for many many years to not include anything too critical with USB hubs. Things like mouse and keyboards are even advised to not be connected with a hub as some might draw more power than standard Dell $5 mice/keyboards. Also external hard drives can be an issue sometimes. Especially on those 7+ USB port devices. There are reports on a lot of them that if you connect a hard drive for example, every other port is briefly disconnected.

These hubs are mostly used for flash drives, low powered adapters like Bluetooth or Xbox Wireless USB dongles, USB audio interfaces, USB 2.0 microphones and stuff like that. I have had greater success with USB SSDs like the Samsung T5 than an external hard drive, but even then I would randomly get a "device doesn't have enough power" warnings if I want two connected at the same time. Powered adapters can be a little different, but still poses this issue sometimes.

This is another reason why I actually prefer the cost overhead of Thunderbolt 3 certified devices. Which is why I get things like this: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-hub

Its Thunderbolt certified. I think you can still get it certified even though USB4 technically includes TB3 by default, but the extra certification is nice to have that quality approval peace of mind.

It is usually not good to have power charging through a hub, its best to simply connect it directly to the computer.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

Alenkore

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
It is usually been recommended for many many years to not include anything too critical with USB hubs. Things like mouse and keyboards are even advised to not be connected with a hub as some might draw more power than standard Dell $5 mice/keyboards. Also external hard drives can be an issue sometimes. Especially on those 7+ USB port devices. There are reports on a lot of them that if you connect a hard drive for example, every other port is briefly disconnected.

These hubs are mostly used for flash drives, low powered adapters like Bluetooth or Xbox Wireless USB dongles, USB audio interfaces, USB 2.0 microphones and stuff like that. I have had greater success with USB SSDs like the Samsung T5 than an external hard drive, but even then I would randomly get a "device doesn't have enough power" warnings if I want two connected at the same time. Powered adapters can be a little different, but still poses this issue sometimes.

This is another reason why I actually prefer the cost overhead of Thunderbolt 3 certified devices. Which is why I get things like this: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-hub

Its Thunderbolt certified. I think you can still get it certified even though USB4 technically includes TB3 by default, but the extra certification is nice to have that quality approval peace of mind.

It is usually not good to have power charging through a hub, its best to simply connect it directly to the computer.

Well, in my case, the only things connected to the hub were a USB Mouse, a USB external camera and the type-c power plug. Ethernet adapter was on the second type-c port. Apple, officially, doesn't even offer any chance to get the same amount of ports on a single adapter. But I had no issues using the same configuration on a DELL.

I see OWC may be the solution, but it's kinda expensive (10% of the price of a MacBook Air here in Italy), not portable (DC IN) and only has a single USB-3 port.

The conclusion, IMHO, is that these MacBooks are faulty and/or bad designed.

Considering the Apple policy about Customer Care in Italy, I was surprised they're going to give me a brand new MacBook for free instead of fixing the one I've sent to repair for cash. I think that they can't really find the reason why these machines fail, so I guess you're going to get a hassle free solution. Just be sure they're going to call you before fixing the issue so you're not going to experience any expensive surprise.

Last edited:

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Dongle or no dongle, reading this thread has scared me from ever connecting my spinning external hard drive to my M1 Mac. I guess, cloud is the way to go for me as long as I own an M1 Mac.

Reactions: Leon1das

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Dongle or no dongle, reading this thread has scared me from ever connecting my spinning external hard drive to my M1 Mac. I guess, cloud is the way to go for me as long as I own an M1 Mac.

Cloud is the way anyway. A server with backups and redundancies is less likely to fail than a consumer external drive.

But, it seems all the hardware fails have been after a sleep. I haven’t notice anyone have a failure on plug in.

Reactions: Clausewitz

Alenkore

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
But, it seems all the hardware fails have been after a sleep. I haven’t notice anyone have a failure on plug in.

Well in my case the issue occurred while I was having a video call and I decided to unplug the power cable. The Mac just gone black forever.

Reactions: Zazoh

highvoltage1215

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2021
Just wanted to chime in with a “same here”.

I had a multiple port adapter plugged in (only power and ethernet at the time), just launched Shadow to start a gaming session and the computer just died. Black screen, no fans (MBP), trackpad and keyboard are completely unresponsive.

Sent it back for an exchange on Monday, but this thread isn’t making me hopeful about the replacement. I have multiple workstations I routinely plug into. These stations have multi port adapters and have been in use for years...

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2020
I am using one of those adapters I got on Amazon (linked) - just for ethernet, without charging and had no problems so far.
I will avoid charging until this issue is resolved/confirmed by Apple, but I definitely feel restless now...

51n5wYM08FL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.