Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben1l

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I have an M1 MacBook Pro running the latest version of Big Sur.

I've been sent a series of MP4 and MOV videos created using DaVinci Resolve as YouTube presets and as well other pre-sets. When I open them in QuickTime or FCP on the M1 MBP the videos play audio, but no video plays. When I play the exact same files on my Mac Pro (2019) running the exact same version of Big Sur they play fine.

This seams VERY odd. Any help would be massively appreciated!

Reactions: motulist and acwo

strangeengine

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2017

I've been sent a series of MP4 and MOV videos created using DaVinci Resolve as YouTube presets and as well other pre-sets. When I open them in QuickTime or FCP on the M1 MBP the videos play audio, but no video plays. When I play the exact same files on my Mac Pro (2019) running the exact same version of Big Sur they play fine.

I have seen this issue with video files produced by an AIM SmartyCam. I submitted the issue to Apple on Dec 2, 2000. Hopefully they fix it soon.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

I would suspect you have the Apple Pro Video Formats installed on the Mac Pro but not on the Mini.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

strangeengine

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2017

Paul Cordingley

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Might be hardware decoding vs software decoding. My dashcam’s video files do this when playing through Preview/Quicktime (hardware - audio but video stops) but works perfectly via VLC in software-decoding mode. It’s extremely annoying.

Moosebear

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2014
Yeah I can't even remember what incompatibility drove me to download VLC, and I just made it the default player for all audio & video. It's better for other things too, such as 'scrubbing' or advancing through a media file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.