Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

PaladinGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Folks, I'd just like to confirm something before I finalize my M1 Mac decision. I started off with a base model M1 MacBook Air, but I ended up deciding that I wanted 16GB of RAM and the perks of the MBP. There are pros to both machines, and it's been the hardest decision that I have ever made about a Mac purchase. In the past, the Air was just not a great option because of thermals. Now, there just isn't much of a difference between the Air and Pro. I won't go into it much, as most of it has already been posted a thousand times.

My question is this: would I need to be more concerned about using the MBP on my lap on the couch/bed for extended periods more than with the Air? My understanding seems to be that both models run very cool. (Only had the MBP for one day, so I haven't tested it much.) I am just wondering if the vents and fan make it more dangerous to use the MBP in this way, considering dust and heat issues. Would there be any difference between the two with this use case? I'm also thinking that the MBP doesn't really need the air flow as much, if you're not really pushing the processor. Would that be correct?

deckard666

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Never even heard my fan or felt any heat even after several hours of video / audio crunching - its a total non-worry. If you told me my MBPro didnt have a fan I would believe you.

Mate has the 16gb and me the 8gb and we have swapped machines a few times and for day-to-day use they are absolutely indistinguishable.

Comment

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
As far as I can tell, the fan never runs and the machine never gets warm. I would not hesitate to use it on a bed/comforter/pillow.

Comment

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2015
I’ve made my decision Apple is late with the M1X I’ve moved on.

Must Haves in a New MAcBook Pro 2022.

#1. WiFI 6e
#2. 120hz VRR OLED display
#3. HDMI 2.1 out
#4. M2X new CPU
#5. 16GB LPDDR5 RAM (heck my Note 20 Ultra 5G has 12GB already)
#6. New Work From Home Improved WebCam.

Reactions: jaymc
Comment

deckard666

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Not Must haves for me as I will barely touch the sides of this performance wise....and I would love to think that BT will supply me with a new 6e Router but nah, that wont happen....the webcam is absolutely fine and much better than my old iPad so dont give a monkeys if it now maps to 4k or might have spatial audio as I dont really think my mum will notice - In ALL cases YMMV.

And late ? Late for who ? For you ? Or do you think Apple might actually be fine-tuning it so its right ? A classic quote from a legend which also applies to hardware -

"A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is bad forever"

Plus the M1s' launched November 2020 - You were expecting V2 a few months later ? Has that ever happened with a MacBook ?

Last edited:
Comment

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Since you're struggling over hard decisions, let me make it easier for you.

DON'T BUY ANY of the current m1 MacBook models.

Instead, wait until (about) August, maybe September, when the ALL-NEW MacBook Pro 14" and MacBook Pro 16" models with a next-generation m-series CPU are released.

Then, buy one of those instead.

That was easy, wasn't it...? :cool:

Comment

PaladinGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
OP:

Since you're struggling over hard decisions, let me make it easier for you.

DON'T BUY ANY of the current m1 MacBook models.

Instead, wait until (about) August, maybe September, when the ALL-NEW MacBook Pro 14" and MacBook Pro 16" models with a next-generation m-series CPU are released.

Then, buy one of those instead.

That was easy, wasn't it...? :cool:

I would have done that, but I’m almost 100% sure that they’ll position it as the higher end option. I’ll be very surprised if the 14” price starts at under $1600-$1800. I’m thinking they’ll stage it the exact same way that they did with the iPhone XR and the iPhone 11. Only the top end modes will get the redesign with Face ID and mini-LED.

For my needs, there’s just no way I could justify spending close to $2000 on a MacBook. Even the M1 processor massively exceeds the computing power that I need. I’m mostly interested in the efficiency of the chip. Super long battery life and cool operation is the kicker for me.

Comment

mediamentor

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2015
I have the Macbook Pro 13, M1, 16gig, and 1Tb, I have never heard the fan go on unless I'm doing 3D renderings from Maya, C4D, or the Unreal Engine Editor, based on my observation, rendering out videos with Final Cut or Premiere Pro won't turn the fan on, so if you're just doing basic office work, the laptop runs amazingly cool and battery life is excellent

Comment

ascender

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2005
The new Air and Pro are so powerful (relatively speaking) that unless you absolutely need the 4 ports and even more powerful hardware coming along, there's very little downside to buying one now. Of course the new machines will be more powerful, but the first M1 laptops are such a jump from the Intel ones that they're great purchases in their own right, "entry level" or not.

Comment

teksurv

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
San Diego, CA
On the M1 MBP, there are no air inlet slits on the bottom like there were on my previous intel models. Use it on your lap, set it on a blanket, won't matter. For casual use it never gets warm, I have never heard the fan. My only real wish would be to have each of the USB-C ports on either side.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.