Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
What about Shift? I don't think I've seen that used with Fn keys.

Either way, programmes could have adjusted. I'd rather put up with that for a few months/years if it meant getting rid of the Fn key. Such a waste of space and makes left control much harder to hit reliably, especially in games (where you can't use Fn, so Control is your left-most button on the bottom roll, and is often quite important).
Shift+option+F1/2/5/6/11/12 is already taken, so using shift as the modifier wouldn't work either. You can always just remap your keys though.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Well that's not a good change at all. Keyboard and screen brightness keys are among the ones I use most often, alongside volume.

Do you really need to adjust the keyboard brightness, though? Or just toggle the backlight on and off? Because there is still a key (F6) to do the later.

Reactions: Saturn007

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Will WiFi 6 mean the Mac mini’s WiFi issue is finally fixed?

Mac Mini WiFi signal issues are not due to the WiFi chip or technology, but rather the design/location of the antenna. Just going to WiFi 6 probably won't change that much, unless Apple have redesigned the antenna.

Reactions: pers0n

alexey1214

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
So, Apple added dictation key instead of microphone mute and didn't think to add camera turn on/off switch? And they added the most frequently used (no, it's not) "don't disturb" mode instead of keyboard brightness? I wish they could replace mission control key (which is available by default as a trackpad gesture) with something more useful =(

happygodavid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Northern Virginia
I can't express enough how much I hate hate hate TouchBar. It's the stupidest, most wasted, most useless, most gimmicky feature ever. I fell for its hype and hated it ever since.

The new Fn key layout is amazing, and I will be using the Spotlight button probably 1000000000 times a day. It's super useful.

I just hope Apple will offer 16" MacBook Pro Silicon without the stupid TouchBar (at least as an option).
I'm with you. I'm typing this message on a 2014 15" MBP. I own the latest 2019 16" MBP, and it's decked out. Daily, I reach for this "old" computer because I hate the TouchBar. I set it to behave like "normal" function key layout (brightness, volume, etc.) so that makes it better than having to look down at it all the time, but I still accidentally press things constantly. Seriously, get rid of the TouchBar, Apple. Hopefully, they'll dump it with the supposed redesign next year.

On the new layout: I like the new F key layout with this MBA... I understand bringing the Spotlight key front and center for the majority of folks who aren't "enthusiasts," but I'll probably still default to Command-Spacebar, as it's just ingrained in how I use my Mac. Nice to have options.

nouvejetzt

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
So how do you adjust the keyboard brightness now?
It will be available now for Big Sur in a button
1605109817813.png

Reactions: Populus

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
The air will throttle hard as it has no fan.

The mini and pro (although lets be honest its a macbook, not a macbook pro, the specs arent good enough to have the pro label imho) both have active cooling so the soc wont throttle as often.
Sorry but your entire post is "IMHO." While your assumption is not an unreasonable guess based solely on what they did with x86, I have not seen a reliable source yet that says anything about throttling on M1s.

If the MBA processor is set at a lower default clock frequency than the MBP processor, that is not "throttling." Unless there are early leaks, we won't know the truth until next week.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...... I use keyboard brightness all the time. Great for putting background sound on when going to sleep. Put something on YouTube, then turn down screen and keyboard brightness to zero. Can turn them up again by feel if need to change the vid without turning the lights on.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
So, Apple added dictation key instead of microphone mute and didn't think to add camera turn on/off switch? And they added the most frequently used (no, it's not) "don't disturb" mode instead of keyboard brightness? I wish they could replace mission control key (which is available by default as a trackpad gesture) with something more useful =(

I've always thought that having keyboard brightness up/down controls was fairly pointless, however keyboard backlight on/off toggle is IMO essential! If Apple haven't given a way in Big Sur to remap a function key to do this, then I'm sure a third-party app can.

mindtpi99

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
No! The touch bar is worth absolutely nothing, it's just plain annoying. Often wish my MacBook Pro had regular keys...
It's not very useful as Apple delivers it, but if you use Better Touch Tool it can become extremely useful. There's bound to be some other alternatives but I use BTT and think it's great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.