Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2021
I have a 8-8-8 512ssd M1 MB Air.

I definitely understand "dongle-life" I've owned touch-bar MBP's.

After owning this M1 Air for just over a month, I am extremely impressed by its overall package.

When I see deals on other laptops (Apple intel models included) I'm no longer interested in 98-99% of them anymore.

When I see another laptop on the market I ask myself the following questions:

how long is the battery life?
Performance speed + power?
USB-C charging?
Thin-light-portable?
Build quality?
Support?
Warranty?
Accessories?

I just can't think of any reason to switch to a different laptop+CPU (other than the new MacBook Pro M1's). But even then, I ask myself if I *need* the extra power, and my answer is a very easy and simple "No".

I'm becoming really attached to this machine. I'm truly blown away by what Apple has been able to do with hardware+software.

I'm not a gamer (at all) so I don't really care about how it "games". I use my laptop for productivity and web based use 99.99% of the time.

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2021
Decibels? You can’t beat 0db.
OMG, I had a Ryzen 4000 series with a D-GPU laptop and that thing was noisy to say the least. battery life sucked, maybe 2.5-4 hours at best! ?

Typing on my M1 air right now and its cool to the touch :cool:

Barely gets warm when connected to a 24" 1080p monitor at 240hz.

This thing is truly amazing.

Last edited:

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
I have had the 16G/1T MBA for over a year, and then ordered the 16” 16G/1T MBP M1 Pro a couple of months ago thinking that I would sell the former. It has turned out that the M1 Pro stays on my desk in clamshell attached to a 27” 4k monitor and I continue to use the MBA for a lot of day to day activity. They are both great laptops, but for the money, the MBA might just be the best computer I have ever owned. And I’ve been at this for forty years, ten years after coming over from the Windows dark side.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Yep. Same. I have actually never liked laptops, not even Apple ones. I love macOS, but the last MacBook I owned before the M1 Air was thick, heavy, loud, slow, etc. It ALWAYS seemed to me like macOS was held back by Intel and the thermal design to accommodate their chips. The MacBook and MacBook Air of the time had the sleeker, more modern designs but were even more painfully slow than my MacBook Pro was. And I couldn't use the Pro "anywhere" because it was too hot most of the time to put on my legs while in use. When I was regularly podcasting was actually when I switched to full time iPad usage rather than Mac and learned the whole workflow in iOS instead. I was just tired of gating out fan noise and interference and it was affecting the quality of almost all my audio.

Those problems are literally all gone now. My M1 Air gets a little hot when I play Civ VI on it, but otherwise doesn't break a sweat. It also lasts forever on a charge and is lighter and thinner than my iPad Pro w Magic Keyboard.

It's honestly the only laptop I've ever owned that I've LOVED using. I've liked a couple of them, but I've never been to the point with a notebook where I get joy from using it over my phone or iPad. M1 made the MacBook Air feel like an iPad married to a Mac without the touchscreen (which I largely don't care about or need).

Of course, I will kick it to the curb once the M2 model comes out, which I'm sure I will also love. ;)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I have a MBA M1 and I plan to keep it for a long time. It's definitely my take it everywhere laptop.

Also have a MBP 16' M1 Max, but that's not going to be traveled with much.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I have a MBA M1 and I plan to keep it for a long time. It's definitely my take it everywhere laptop.
That's exactly how I have always thought of the "Air" model MacBook lineup. The take-everywhere model that can do all the stuff most people need to do with a computer. Really, that's how the iPad Air is too--the best of all worlds model that is ultraportable and adaptable. (In fact, I'm thinking about buying one because I have started missing just having a "normal" iPad.)

I feel like the M1 MacBook Air has taken that all a step further for me though, because of how much more than the standard task it can handle often times without even getting warm to the touch. It runs my 4K monitor workstation and all my desktop peripherals with no problem, even if I'm doing something like photo or video editing. When I take it somewhere with me, I feel like I just have a mini version of my workstation with basically every bit as nice of a display to my eye. Also notable is that it does actually leave my house for on-the-go use sometimes.

The M1 MacBook Air is just a really special machine, and I'm really anxious to get my hands on a redesigned model with the M2 or whatever the next thing is called. I'm far more interested in that notebook than a MacBook Pro now, and that shows me that Apple is slowly taking the right steps to clarify the lineup, aka "make the Pros more Pro".

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2021
It's honestly the only laptop I've ever owned that I've LOVED using. I've liked a couple of them, but I've never been to the point with a notebook where I get joy from using it over my phone or iPad. M1 made the MacBook Air feel like an iPad married to a Mac without the touchscreen (which I largely don't care about or need).

Of course, I will kick it to the curb once the M2 model comes out, which I'm sure I will also love. ;)
unless the new M2 models (air or pro) have bigger screens (ports are nice but not must haves, got lots of dongles :rolleyes:) I really don't have any desire to switch from this machine (no offense)

could they squeeze out more performance and efficiency? Absolutely! Do I *need* any more than what I have? *absolutely not*

I really hope with Apple and their switch to Apple Silicon, that they'll support the M series for a long time (fingers crossed). If they support the M1 generation laptops for 6-8 years I'm an extremely happy camper. if 4-5? not so much...

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
unless the new M2 models (air or pro) have bigger screens (ports are nice but not must haves, got lots of dongles :rolleyes:) I really don't have any desire to switch from this machine (no offense)

could they squeeze out more performance and efficiency? Absolutely! Do I *need* any more that what I have? *absolutely not*

I really hope with Apple and their switch to Apple Silicon, that they'll support the M series for a long time (fingers crossed). If they support the M1 generation laptops for 6-8 years I'm an extremely happy camper. if 4-5? not so much...
I will admit--the reason would be more design based. I love the overall design aesthetic of the current Air, but have never been comfortable with the taper. I know it had functional reasons for being in the past, but the current M1 Air is a retrofit to an older design that had to take Intel into consideration. I REALLY hope the renders that have been leaking that show the new models with no taper are correct. They really look more like just a thinner, lighter MacBook Pro.

All that being said, I agree with you that it would be a completely unnecessary upgrade and would mostly be because I crave that updated design. The current model is a dream to own. I have really, really enjoyed using it so far and have absolutely zero regrets about ditching the iPad Pro and jumping back into the Mac full time.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
Ditto to everyone... my first mac was a 2003 12" Powerbook G4. Since then I have had quite a few. My most exciting machine was the Mac Pro I got (that I for sure did not need)--having two SuperDrive and four hard drives in one machine was so amazing. Have had a couple of MBPs and a couple of iMacs. My current computer on my desk at work is a 2020 27" iMac with good specs, 24gb ram 1tb, 2 external drives. But for mobile use, always in my backpack, is the M1 Air. I traded in an old MBP for credit and got the base model air for $150. It was a no-brainer at 12$ a month for a year. Ordered right when they announced the M1, and I think the M1 announcement was truly the most amazing thing (with exception of iPhone) that I have seen in almost 20 years of using Macs.

At work, I always use my iMac unless I'm in another location at church, but the truth is this... this base level M1 is the slowest, least storage, smallest ram, smallest screen, etc M1 computer I will ever use... and that is exciting! It is never hot, never dead, never noisey. As others have said, this machine is also dollar for dollar the wisest purchase I have made.
Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 10.22.45 PM.png

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
agreed ( I have an 8/512). The main thing I'd like again is multiple screen support. I don't NEED it, but I'd like the option. In terms of raw power, this is fine.

Reactions: BreakYurAnkles

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
I’m loving the MBA M1. My absolute favorite is still the rMB 2017…I purchased one lightly used in 2020 and love it for most things. I really wish Apple would make a new M1 12” MB. I have both, and I take the rMB on the go or on the couch when the iPad isn’t enough. My MBA is hooked up to my external monitor and stays home.

Reactions: Digger148

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I bought a 2020 i5 MBP with 16GB RAM, and an i3 MBA. The latter was mainly for travel and since the M1 was already on the horizon I always intended to replace it with the M1 MBA.

The thing is… the base model M1 MBA beats the MBP at virtually everything, so really, what I replaced was the MBP and the Intel MBA. I hadn’t expected that.
I’ve since sold the old MBA and am trying to sell the MBP now.

I love the M1 MBA to bits. I’ve always been somewhat obsessed with the MBA (and therefore regret having sold my old 2014 one).
I’m even thinking that if they actually introduce colors on the next version, I will order one the moment they announce them ?

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
It's amazing how much Intel has hold the entire pc market for several years. Using M1 is really a game changing experience. I just hope Apple uses this opportunity to increase its hold in wide range of software and development sector. The recent movements by Apple looks promising though, but not enough.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
"dongle-life". I wish people would just get over it already. I have a 2020 m1 MBP with 2 thunderbolt ports and not a single dongle. Oh my, how is that possible? I bought the appropriate cables, dah? Usbc to hdmi, usbc to those flat external drive connectors., etc - cheap and effective Nope don’t love my old cables at all, this is a much better solution

I considered a hub because with only 2 ports, one of them might have to be used for charging, giving me only 1, but with the battery life so good, I’ve never encountered a problem

So please everyone stop whining about dongles! It’s a dumb idea in the first place

• Angry
Reactions: -DMN- and jdb8167

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
M1 air is the best laptop ever. Silent, light, fast, affordable.

I bought four of them.

Too bad the refresh will have white bezels, no thanks. In for zero.
Thats the future for the consumers macs for the next 4-5 years
We buy laptops for productivity not for status or looks (because those 2 things are subjective)
If you have M1, you dont need M2 since you dont need the extra gpu power

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
Thats the future for the consumers macs for the next 4-5 years
We buy laptops for productivity not for status or looks (because those 2 things are subjective)
If you have M1, you dont need M2 since you dont need the extra gpu power
Looks are clearly the goal of adding colors and white bezels match the new color palette better.

But I won’t buy a computer with white bezels, no offense to anyone who would.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

USB-C charging?
Thin-light-portable?
Build quality?
Support?
Warranty?
Accessories?
If only Intel thought the same ay as you do.

Also I am glad you see this for the what it is. An entry level notebook.
Mind you M1 is probably the first entry level notebook that does any with most of the usual compromises that other notebooks had to have to be in the ultra portable entry level category. Literally the new standard for what entry level notebooks should be.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I have a 8-8-8 512ssd M1 MB Air.

I definitely understand "dongle-life" I've owned touch-bar MBP's.

After owning this M1 Air for just over a month, I am extremely impressed by its overall package.

When I see deals on other laptops (Apple intel models included) I'm no longer interested in 98-99% of them anymore.

USB-C charging?
Thin-light-portable?
Build quality?
Support?
Warranty?
Accessories?

I just can't think of any reason to switch to a different laptop+CPU (other than the new MacBook Pro M1's). But even then, I ask myself if I *need* the extra power, and my answer is a very easy and simple "No".

I'm becoming really attached to this machine. I'm truly blown away by what Apple has been able to do with hardware+software.

I'm not a gamer (at all) so I don't really care about how it "games". I use my laptop for productivity and web based use 99.99% of the time.
I have the same machine spec on my personal Air, my work Air is the base model. I agree on everything you say.

I’ve been using iPads since day one, and Macs since the early 90s, and the Air is such a great piece of kit.

I mentioned iPads, because with the M1 chip the MacBook have a lot of the things that make an iPad so special. The battery life and power management, the instant sleep/wake. It’s quite the revelation at first. Now? Every other computer feels so…. old?

Apple did good on this one, I think it’s up there with the first iMac, the iPhone, iPod and iPad. It will force every other manufacturer to up their game.

And all of this for $999? It’s such a privilege that for once, the absolute cutting edge in cpu tech is in most peoples grasp.

fgengineer

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2018
I too like my MacBook Air.

I did replace it with a 16” MacBook Pro mostly because the size of the screen is too small and I bought the 8 GB which was proving to not be enough.

If I had bought the 16 GB version of the Air, there is a good chance I would not have bought the 16” pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.