Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M1mba978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
UK
I have noticed under battery preferences, in the usage history over the past 10 days my M1 Air has stopped registering screen on time, but still charts battery usage. The battery life is still excellent and is unchanged, just wondering if other users have seen this? I’ve tried the obvious restarting, connecting and disconnecting from external display and airplay displays that I use, but can’t see anything that relates to it.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I don't have any insights except to mention that my screen on usage is displayed for the past 10 days (I've had the MBA for 12 days), and so far I've rarely connected to an external display.

Reactions: M1mba978

M1mba978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
UK
Thanks for checking. Mine was appearing fine in the 24hr and 10 day tab but it hasn’t registered screen time in the last 10 days at all now.

M1mba978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
UK
Did you set up SoT to show and keep stats separately from your other devices, or have you recently changed that to show all devices?
No, I didn’t have the screen on time app turned on on the Mac, however this didn’t stop screen on time being recorded in the battery app previously. I did try turning the function on as a fix but it didn’t change anything.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
No, I didn’t have the screen on time app turned on on the Mac, however this didn’t stop screen on time being recorded in the battery app previously. I did try turning the function on as a fix but it didn’t change anything.
I am at a loss as to why this is happening. Hopefully, someone with experience in Sot device usage will reply and educate us all on how to remedy the problem.

M1mba978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
UK
I am at a loss as to why this is happening. Hopefully, someone with experience in Sot device usage will reply and educate us all on how to remedy the problem.
Thanks for having a look into it regardless, much appreciated. I thought I would see if anyone else had the same issue, I may contact Apple support if I have no luck. It’s a non-issue let’s be honest, and yet it’s annoying once you’ve spotted it!

vanasian

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2013
I noticed mine with same issue the other day. I turn on my MBA and using it for couple hours. The battery usage history didn't show anything. I rebooted my MBA and it started showing it again. It was very weird and it happened few times this week. I used to shut down my MBA every night and that happened. Now I just let it go sleep and the usage history is fine again.

Last edited:

M1mba978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
UK
I noticed mine with same issue the other day. I turn on my MBA and using it for couple hours. The battery usage history didn't show anything. I rebooted my MBA and it started showing it again. It was very weird and it happened few times this week. I used to shut down my MBA every night and that happened. Now I just let it go sleep and the usage history is fine again.
Thanks for sharing! No luck for me rebooting

M1mba978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
UK
I’ve been on with Apple support, first suggestion was to create another admin account and check if issue persisted which it did, second advisor kept sending me processes to follow that had headers which stated only for intel macs and went back to seek a senior advisors help but I got disconnected. Try again tomorrow maybe.

M1mba978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
UK
FYI thanks for everyone's suggestions. I went through a number of steps with apple support including safe mode booting and running apple diagnostics (no issues found). They then suggested I wiped and set up from new which I haven't done given people have had bigger issues with that on the M1 Macs so far. In the end the issue has resolved itself today, I've been trying opening a lot of apps, running full screen, brightness fully up and fully down, and something in that has seemed to kick it back into gear and it's now recording screen time again. Not clear what the fix is but hope this helps someone else if they come across the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.