Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackHinkle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Hey guys. I’ve had my base model M1 MacBook Pro for about exactly six months. About a month in of owning it, I noticed that the keyboard backlight was very uneven. I don’t remember if it came that way or if something changed, but whatever. Here’s some pics.

Here's the image straight from my iPhone's camera with no edits.
unmodified.jpg

Here's the same image, but modified to look as close as possible to how I see it in real life.
what I see.jpg

Finally, here's the heavily-modified version of that image. It should start to become obvious.
modified.jpg

First, about the LOption, K, and 7 keys, they got damaged so I replaced them with keycaps from an old Magic Keyboard. Don't ask.

On that third image, you can really see the issue. It looks like three separate rays of light are coming in. One from the top-left, another from the top-right, and one last around the RCommand key. And yes, this really is obvious in real life. I have a moderately-sunlit room, and you can only tell that the 1, 2, 3, +, and - keys are lit when brightness is on max. Everything else looks un-lit.

So... should I try to contact support? The situation with the damaged keys is in my control, so I wouldn't go to support over that. But the backlight... I don't really want to try to fix that myself. It is genuinely bothersome. I want to see what you guys think.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I do have AppleCare+, expires early 2024.

EDIT 2: To clarify, the backlight issue came first. Five months ago was the backlight issue, and two months ago was the key issue. There is no way that the backlight issue could have been caused by the key issue, they are completely separate.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If you are in the U.S., you are well past your return window.

In my opinion, you shouldn't have tampered with those keys you mentioned. You should have had Apple repair them for you.

I would contact Apple about the problem and see about a repair. They may give you blowback on your own repair on the keys.

Reactions: Never mind

baadapple

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2020
Soooo... let me get this straight... You had damage on the keyboard which you admitted to. Then decided to attempt to fix yourself instead of bringing it into apple for the repair. You also mentioned you paid for Apple care + but still decided to do the repair yourself..

Now, you are complaining about backlight issue on the same keyboard you stated took damage and admitted to attempting a repair yourself.

I wish people would actually read what they are about to post before they actually do. For you to even think its apple’s fault or their responsibility at this point is laughable like your repair attempt.

Good Luck.

Reactions: Never mind

JJL2026

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2021
Soooo... let me get this straight... You had damage on the keyboard which you admitted to. Then decided to attempt to fix yourself instead of bringing it into apple for the repair. You also mentioned you paid for Apple care + but still decided to do the repair yourself..

Now, you are complaining about backlight issue on the same keyboard you stated took damage and admitted to attempting a repair yourself.

I wish people would actually read what they are about to post before they actually do. For you to even think its apple’s fault or their responsibility at this point is laughable like your repair attempt.

Good Luck.
What was the point of your reply? Obviously the Original poster realizes they made a mistake by replacing the broken keys themselves. But to be honest Apple Care has some ridiculous fees and I don’t blame the OP for trying to save some money. If I was in that predicament I would try Apple Care and see what they. Worse case scenario you use your MBP in well lit areas. (I’m assuming that won’t be to have d since you went a good amount of time before noticing the issue.)

Reactions: JackHinkle

JackHinkle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021

Good Luck.
Oh, no no. I had the backlight issue before the keys. The key issue occurred only about two months ago, the backlight issue has been going for about five.

Edit: Just now realizing that the entire original post was completely misleading, lol. Yeah no but I'm purely focusing on the backlight.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Oh, no no. I had the backlight issue before the keys. The key issue occurred only about two months ago, the backlight issue has been going for about five.

Edit: Just now realizing that the entire original post was completely misleading, lol. Yeah no but I'm purely focusing on the backlight.
You’ll have a hard time convincing apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.