Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Has anyone tried using their new Macs with third party dongles or DAPs in external sound card mode?
My machine won't even detect the presence of the Astell&Kern SP2000 I have attached via USB-C.

The Luxury&Precision W2 dongle visibly connects (as does the SP2K as it starts charging) but I cannot see either in the Sound settings.
I also have Android File Transfer installed but it doesn't detect anything either.

Templex

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
That's odd. I would double check to make sure any required drivers are compatible and installed, and also try a different USB-C cable. I use an RME Babyface Pro with my 16" M1 Pro and it works perfectly as expected. What does the USB section in System Information look like when your devices are plugged in?

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
That's odd. I would double check to make sure any required drivers are compatible and installed, and also try a different USB-C cable. I use an RME Babyface Pro with my 16" M1 Pro and it works perfectly as expected. What does the USB section in System Information look like when your devices are plugged in?
Tried a different USB-C cable.
USB device tree states USB 3.1 bus three times.

To clarify, I am using the Luxury&Precision W2, which is connected to a genuine Apple USB-A-->USB-C adapter.
Connected the Mac/amp to the MacBook via usb-c directly results in the same issue.

EDIT: As for the Astell&Kern SP2000, it is also a direct usb-c connection. Using the adapter changes nothing at all as the DAP charges fine but that's it.

Both devices require no drivers to work with Mac OS.

Templex

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Tried a different USB-C cable.
USB device tree states USB 3.1 bus three times.

To clarify, I am using the Luxury&Precision W2, which is connected to a genuine Apple USB-A-->USB-C adapter.
Connected the Mac/amp to the MacBook via usb-c directly results in the same issue.

EDIT: As for the Astell&Kern SP2000, it is also a direct usb-c connection. Using the adapter changes nothing at all as the DAP charges fine but that's it.

Both devices require no drivers to work with Mac OS.
So if I'm understanding correctly, neither the W2 nor the SP2000 show up in the USB device tree when plugged in?

Reactions: NickYanakiev

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
hmm....
Is there any change if you restart your MBPro while leaving the dac plugged in to USB?
Wow actually yes. It worked.
However, in the name of science I unplugged the dac and plugged it back in- it didn't get recognised.

At least we have a solution- no adapters needed either.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Not sure if I would call that a solution. So far, it's a work-around.
I think, going by other reports, that Monterey continues to have some challenges with USB, although it is often external USB hubs or docks.
Are you using an external hub, or are you plugging the DAC directly into built-in USB port?
Maybe 12.1 (currently in beta) or 12.2 will fix your issue (looking forward)

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Not sure if I would call that a solution. So far, it's a work-around.
I think, going by other reports, that Monterey continues to have some challenges with USB, although it is often external USB hubs or docks.
Are you using an external hub, or are you plugging the DAC directly into built-in USB port?
Maybe 12.1 (currently in beta) or 12.2 will fix your issue (looking forward)

Using a direct connection between the DAC and the laptop- also tried using the Apple USB-a to USB-c adapter.

Seems like a bug as unplugging and plugging the cable back in results in no DAC being found in Audio Output options.

Will report to Apple.

Reactions: Sanpete

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
On a MBP 14", when using Tidal, Audirvana etc. I get constant dropouts using any external DAC: AudioQuest, FiiO, Hidizs etc. This doesn't happen on the internal speakers. It's something to do with USB and Monterey and it's annoying enough that I use the DACs on my Windows laptop now instead. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.