Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Yup, I'd love to know. Hopefully we get solid, detailed videos on this subject early next week. If the Max has no appreciable difference in heat / battery life under light loads then I'll go for it to have the headroom. Otherwise the Pro will be calling my name.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
So, watching back over Apple's keynote, they do provide these two graphs:
f1hFSYW.png

gBsn5oH.png

I know this doesn't answer your thermals question, but it does give an idea of the power curves of the GPUs in the two chips which will at least be correlated to the thermals. The CPUs will be the same outside of the binned versions, so we don't have to worry about that. I'm most interested in the low-end, where it looks like maybe ~8W on the M1 Pro and ~13W on the M1 Max. 5W isn't likely to cause an appreciable difference in heat and battery life, right?

vseera

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
I am quite interested in this too. Also, the fact that the M1 Max 16 is 0.1kg heavier than the M1 Pro 16 means that they must have done something with the cooling.

This is now slightly worrying me as I've got an M1 Max 14 on the way so I am hoping there are no heat/throttling issues.

Reactions: zakarhino

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I am quite interested in this too. Also, the fact that the M1 Max 16 is 0.1kg heavier than the M1 Pro 16 means that they must have done something with the cooling.

This is now slightly worrying me as I've got an M1 Max 14 on the way so I am hoping there are no heat/throttling issues.
As others have pointed out it could simply be a matter of rounding, since they only go down the tenth of a pound. Ex. the M1 Pro version weighs 4.749 pounds, and the M1 Max version weighs 4.751 pounds. I'm not claiming that to be the case, but it should be considered until we know otherwise. I'm curious whether there really are differences to the cooling system.

vseera

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
As others have pointed out it could simply be a matter of rounding, since they only go down the tenth of a pound. Ex. the M1 Pro version weighs 4.749 pounds, and the M1 Max version weighs 4.751 pounds. I'm not claiming that to be the case, but it should be considered until we know otherwise. I'm curious whether there really are differences to the cooling system.
That definitely sounds plausible and I hope that is the case.

Simply cannot wait for the real world tests and reviews, which should hopefully start coming in next week.

SuperTango

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
FWIW, I combined the two images from above by roughly matching the axis values. Looks like the M1Max uses quite a bit more power than the M1Pro, so that might cause thermal issues. ?‍♂️

Hoping to find out more when folks get them in their hands.

Attachments

• m1power.png
    m1power.png
    85 KB · Views: 139

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
FWIW, I combined the two images from above by roughly matching the axis values. Looks like the M1Max uses quite a bit more power than the M1Pro, so that might cause thermal issues. ?‍♂️

Hoping to find out more when folks get them in their hands.
Yes, but at the same power consumption level the M1 Max looks to run cooler (or at least, the power consumption is less). We'll know more next week.

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
I mean the memory bus for the Max is twice as large, and potentially an obvious choice for some, so mainly curious if the Max can still be fairly cool with light web use.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
I ordered an M1 Max 14" so following here. I actually came to the forum to see if there are any data on battery life and thermal differences yet. I don't absolutely need the extra power, so if battery life and/or heat control are significantly worse, I'd return it and get the M1 Pro.

Reactions: UltimateSyn

awert2

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2021
I am curious if the M1 pro 16gpu vs M1 max 24gpu vs M1 max 32gpu in the 14” mbp.

if the m1 pro will be cooler (no fans) under load vs m1 max. on the 14”

brosenz

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Due to the larger Heatsink of the Max, for low loads, will it run at lower temperatures than the Pro who has a smaller Heatsink?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.