Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced the M1 Ultra chip with a 20-core CPU, up to a 64-core GPU, and a 32-core Neural Engine. The first Mac to offer the M1 Ultra is the all-new Mac Studio desktop computer, which is available to order starting today.

mac-studio-and-studio-display.jpeg

Tech specs for the Mac Studio confirm that the M1 Ultra chip supports up to five external displays. Specifically, a Mac Studio configured with the M1 Ultra chip supports up to four external displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz over USB-C, along with a fifth display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz over HDMI, according to Apple.

By comparison, 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with the M1 Pro chip support up to two 6K displays, while models configured with the M1 Max chip support up to three 6K displays and a fourth display with up to 4K resolution. MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro models with the standard M1 chip officially only support up to one external display, but users have worked around this limitation with the use of DisplayLink adapters.

The M1 Ultra chip interconnects the die of two M1 Max chips for higher performance and support for up to 128GB of unified memory, compared to a limit of 64GB for the M1 Max chip. The 20-core CPU has 16 high-performance cores and four high-efficiency cores.

"M1 Ultra is another game-changer for Apple silicon that once again will shock the PC industry. By connecting two M1 Max die with our UltraFusion packaging architecture, we're able to scale Apple silicon to unprecedented new heights," said Apple's chipmaking lead Johny Srouji. "With its powerful CPU, massive GPU, incredible Neural Engine, ProRes hardware acceleration, and huge amount of unified memory, M1 Ultra completes the M1 family as the world's most powerful and capable chip for a personal computer."

Article Link: M1 Ultra Chip Supports Up to Five External Displays

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Edit: yeees It has 6 ports!

Original post:
But it takes all of the thunderbolt ports. I like the usbc on the displays, but what if someone needs more thunderbolt ports. 6 thunderbolts might be justified on this machine, especially with two of the ports on the front. Would really like to hide display cables behind the machine.

On a side note, was really hoping apple’s displays could support multiple thunderbolt inputs. It would be much easier with that to switch between personal and working setup.

Last edited:

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
i don't see the base studio being good for the value simply because for 500 more, you get the same chip in the 16inch. but with a really good display and mobility.
Well I mean iMac 27 aren’t that much more expensive than the studio displays either

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
The specs show 5 displays for the Studio. They don't differentiate the Max or Ultra.

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
Just want to confirm........ Is the 27 inch iMac dead and not coming back?

Of course it's coming back. The 27" iMac is arguably more important to Apple's desktop lineup than the 24" size. It will likely be called the "iMac Pro," and it will also likely have a Mini LED screen, which may be one of the reasons that the product is taking so long to be released.

My guess on announcement date would be sometime before the end of the year.

Last edited:

MuckrakerJG

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2014
i don't see the base studio being good for the value simply because for 500 more, you get the same chip in the 16inch. but with a really good display and mobility.

Incorrect, the $2500 16” MacBook Pro only gives you the M1 Pro Chip not the Max.

Base Mac Studio: $2000 = 10 core CPU, 24 core GPU, 32 GB unified memory

Base 16” MacBook Pro: $2500 = 10 core, CPU, 16 core GPU, 16 GB unified memory.

To get the same power as a base Studio in a 16” Macbook Pro, you would have to customize it with the M1 Max 24 core GPU and 32 GB memory options and the price then is $3099.

So, I understand your point about being mobile and getting a screen, but the difference if you want the same specs as the Studio in your laptop would be $1100, not $500.

igmgentry

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2016
Marietta GA
I believe looking at the specs that the M1 Max also supports 5 screens so the article title is a bit misleading only mentioning the ultra. Unless I totally missed something but the apple site seems to show the same number of screens for both and if you look at a macbook pro with an M1 max it says it can handle 4 screens plus the laptop screen itself so there are 5 as well.

teak421

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2020
I love my MBP Max that I got a few months back... BUT, I wish I would have waited... I could have gotten the M1 Ultra for the same price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.