Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NikkiAngel

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Buffalo, NY
My M1 will not connect to ANY hotspot. Not my iPad, phone or even my husbands phone.

I AM able to connect my iPad (cellular) to my phone’s hotspot to test the hotspot and it works.

I’ve forgotten the hotspot network on my MBA and rejoined but still nothing.

It’s worth noting that my phone or iPad will say that my MBA is connected - I get the green circles on my phone indicating that a device is connected via hotspot.

But my MBA will show the exclamation mark on the WiFi indicator, it will also say I’m connected in WiFi area in system preferences, but when I try to navigate to a webpage I get the message “you are not connected to the internet”

Any tips?

NikkiAngel

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I have a VPN but it is not connected at the time of trying to connect to the hotspot. I’ll try deleting it and see if that helps

NikkiAngel

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I have a VPN but it is not connected at the time of trying to connect to the hotspot. I’ll try deleting it and see if that.

I deleted the vpn, and restarted and I’m still having the same issue.

NikkiAngel

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Sounds like it IS connecting - but not getting a valid IP.

VPNs often cause this sort of issue.
I actually fixed it! I connected my Mac to my iPhone hotspot and saw that I had no IP address. I then went into the WIFI settings and saw that the Configure IPv6 was set to off. I changed it to automatically and I was connected right away. Thank you for your help. You pointed me in the right direction!

Reactions: FreakinEurekan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.