Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
While there is no such thing as a stupid question, I don't think you'll find a lot of Mac users who will advise you that spending $700 on an Alienware windows laptop is "worth it." I don't think it's worth it. There is something big in the offing over at Apple when it comes to Macbook Air. Perhaps they will offer a sub $1000 model that benchmarks closer to its Macbook and Macbook Pro siblings. For now, the best deal I'm aware of on Apple gear is $999 for the base 13 in MBP over at MicroCenter.

If you really want a Windows box, the Aleinware rig is probably a decent deal. But I don't think you'll be as happy with it as you would with a Mac.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
it's a laptop ...for gaming .......ok you can use if for that, but gaming on such a small display is not what i would like to do , and if it has to be a x11 then the bottom right one with the i7 , as for games you need processing and graphics power as much as you can get
sure most games will work on the x11 with i3 too just dont expect wonders in the fps department even on low settings

sorry just my opinion ...gaming on laptops , you have to be really desperate for a game to play it on a laptop while you cant access your gaming rig for example

alienware has much better offerings the Area 51 ALX Desktop for example to really enjoy gaming without worrys about settings , just put in the game and start playing , even the aurora series will make mince meat out of the x11
and if they are to pricey then hmm build your own gaming rig and you will see what you get for less

just want to make sure you dont come back after you bought the x11 and complain "i only get 20 fps out of it while playing game xx what can i do?"

Last edited:

Lagmonster

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
I sold mine. Decent machine, did not like the KB all that much. It's also too heavy for what you are getting. Keep an eye out for refurb deals if you really want one.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
I will never touch an Alienware ever again, especially now that it is owned by Dell. There is so much bloatware and lack of customization on the machine that is insanely difficult to get around that it bogs down your machine and locks you into Dell servicing for the rest of your life. Even then, the starting price may be around 700, but to get anything in it powerful enough to be the small gaming rig that they advertise it is, you'll be spending close to 2k.

Honestly if you're looking for a good pc- hands down go Asus. They're the closesr thing you can get to apple quality in a pc. Outstanding specs and builds, highly customizable and light on the bloatware, and the last time I ever heard of one fail was.... Never. I've recommended and gotten a lot of Asus machines over time and they are beasts.

Chafka

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
I was going to get one... until I saw a video of someone using one while gaming - it sounded like a hairdryer right next to my ear. That turned me way off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.