Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F1100mrz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2024
I have a 2009 iMac that I've been using as a computer and as a music server. I bought a Mac Mini M2 and connect to the iMac screen. Need advice! Do I need a special adaptor to go from Thunderbolt 4 to a UBS-C/DisplayPort cable and will this work. HDMI seems problematic I gather? THX

apostolosdt

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2021
I have a 2009 iMac that I've been using as a computer and as a music server. I bought a Mac Mini M2 and connect to the iMac screen. Need advice! Do I need a special adaptor to go from Thunderbolt 4 to a UBS-C/DisplayPort cable and will this work. HDMI seems problematic I gather? THX
Are you saying Mini uses the iMac screen as a monitor? That would be interesting.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
2009 iMac can work as a display, unless it’s a 20” or 21.5”… you’d need USB-C to Mini DisplayPort (mDP).

That option only works with 24” or 27” 2009 or 2010 iMacs, no others.

Reactions: apostolosdt

F1100mrz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2024
Thx for the replies! Apostolostd, it is what I want to do. FreakinEurekan says yes but many say no incl Apple. I noticed that the miniDP on the 24” iMac is an output port according to Apple literature. My question is will it accept signals from the M2 Mini?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Thx for the replies! Apostolostd, it is what I want to do. FreakinEurekan says yes but many say no incl Apple. I noticed that the miniDP on the 24” iMac is an output port according to Apple literature. My question is will it accept signals from the M2 Mini?
No, according to Apple:

24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010​

To use any of these iMac models as an external display:

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
Apple says that for all Target Display Mode computers - but it actually only applies to Thunderbolt connections. The 2009/2010 use mini DisplayPort and are agnostic about the "other Mac" (it could be any Mac, or literally any device that outputs a DisplayPort signal).

Reactions: Chuckeee

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Apple says that for all Target Display Mode computers - but it actually only applies to Thunderbolt connections. The 2009/2010 use mini DisplayPort and are agnostic about the "other Mac" (it could be any Mac, or literally any device that outputs a DisplayPort signal).
M-a-y-b-e… But it doesn’t read that way. Let me try this again.

24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010​

• The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
  • The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Mini DisplayPort cable.
Indeed, the later iMac requirements do mention TB:

iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014​

• The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.

I was going to do a more in-depth research discovery explanation involving how the requirements may be to do with proprietary ‘handshaking’, etc as the DisplayPort spec does allow for more than just video and audio but, at least according to Microsoft documentation regarding Windows, features such as brightness control require custom driver implementations. However, if we are to believe the following claim/statement I came across, we’re both (at least somewhat) mistaken (i.e., TDM via Thunderbolt supposedly worked using a macOS version newer than Catalina):

So… Perhaps there is (unexpected/unintentional) leniency in the TDM requirements. 🤔🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
So… Perhaps there is (unexpected/unintentional) leniency in the TDM requirements. 🤔🤷‍♂️
This exactly. Target Display Mode via DisplayPort doesn't care a whit about what the connected device is running in terms of macOS version, or even whether it's macOS or not. It's a "Loophole" that Apple's chosen not to point out in documentation since it only affects that two years worth of iMacs.

One of those "If you know, you know" sorts of things that people without a 2009/2010 iMac don't have to be concerned about. As it happens I've connected that era Mac to various devices, including Windows PCs and even once, for the heck of it, to an Xbox using a DisplayPort adapter.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It will, if you use a USB-C to mDP cable.

All that said - Target Display Mode is still a "Hack." You need to keep the keyboard handy to put the Mac into Target Display, and the Mac will still draw a Mac's worth of power and generate a Mac's worth of heat. And, you're going to get basic 1920x1200 resolution... fine for 2009 but a bit wimpy today. Plus of course that Mac is 15 years old, a hardware issue could sideline it at any time.

You wanted to know if it'll work - and yes, it'll work.

My recommendation is that you recycle your iMac and get a nice 4k display instead.

Burai

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2005
I tried this, but I ran into a few issues that I couldn't live with, some of which are touched upon above;
  • You have to put the iMac into target display mode every time you turn it on, which means connecting a keyboard and pressing CMD+F2. Anything that causes the Mac mini to disconnect - sleep mode, a reboot, shut down or cable disconnection - will require you to CMD+F2 on the iMac again to reconnect.
  • The above makes it quite annoying to get into recovery mode on the Mac mini as you have to boot it blind, before switching on the display.
  • The iMac is a proper computer, so power consumption, heat generation and fan noise is comparatively high for a monitor.
  • You can't use the camera, mic, USBs, Firewire, SD card slot, ethernet or audio jacks as you can on the equivalent Thunderbolt Display.
In the end, I just bought a £200 HP 1440p LED-lit IPS display for convenience. And in spite of being so cheap, the picture quality was dramatically better than the old, yellowing, tube-lit iMac panel. Monitors have come on a long way in the last fifteen years!

If you can make it work for you, it's a great way to recycle an old computer, but it was just too clunky for me.

F1100mrz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2024
I’ve been quite surprised at the response to my question. My Macs going all the way back to the 7200 series have performed flawlessly and OSs have improved beyond expectations. My 09 iMac seems as bright as ever, but it has been left behind in speed. My wife is a graphic designer and she went from a G5 to a MacMini connected to her Eizo. She is very happy. The M2 Mini will arrive this Friday and you guys have convinced me to buy a new display! So thank you for your replies and for exchanging your knowledge. I’m open to suggestions for a 2K-4K display for no more than $300 if you have any ideas!?

Reactions: picpicmac

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
With a budget of $300 you have a LOT of options. 27" 4k can be had in that price range... some ultra-wide too.

Your iMac is a 24". Is that roughly the size you want to stick with?

Reactions: Chuckeee

F1100mrz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2024
Yesterday I saw a BenQ PD 2705Q which is 2560x1440 2k marked down $100 to $299. I decided on that monitor mainly because the LG 24 UD58B a 4K at $299 seemed to have reliability issues according some owners. I’m betting the BenQ will be more dependable if not quite as clear. I value color accuracy most of all as I am a photographer. I get a bit impulsive when there are so many choices.
Although I can understand the appeal of gaming, I’ve never got into it so high refresh rates are not important for me. Thx for your inquiry and advice 603.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.