Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which speakers sound better?

• Total voters

Gelam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
I find the M2 speakers worse than the old air and worse than my okd 12" macbook. The loss of the upwards facing speakers is a real shame.
What in particular do you find worse than those two?

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I find the M2 speakers worse than the old air and worse than my okd 12" macbook. The loss of the upwards facing speakers is a real shame.
The speakers on the 12 inch MB were weirdly amazing. Apple somehow managed to get a really clear and balanced sound out of a tiny laptop.

I don't have an M2 comparison to make against the 12 inch, but from my Mac collection/history I would in my entirely subjective view rank them:

1. 12 inch MB
2. M1 Air
3. 16 M1 MBP (would be number 1 if the bass was less overpowering)
4. 2018 4TB 13 inch MBP (needed tweaking in BOOM)
5. 2015 15 inch MBP
6. 2015 13 inch MBP

The M1 Air comes so high for being so well balanced out of the box and for being nice and clear without overpowering in any range. It could do with being a bit louder. If the M2 Air is similar, that seems like a decent result.

Gelam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
The speakers on the 12 inch MB were weirdly amazing. Apple somehow managed to get a really clear and balanced sound out of a tiny laptop.

I don't have an M2 comparison to make against the 12 inch, but from my Mac collection/history I would in my entirely subjective view rank them:

1. 12 inch MB
2. M1 Air
3. 16 M1 MBP (would be number 1 if the bass was less overpowering)
4. 2018 4TB 13 inch MBP (needed tweaking in BOOM)
5. 2015 15 inch MBP
6. 2015 13 inch MBP

The M1 Air comes so high for being so well balanced out of the box and for being nice and clear without overpowering in any range. It could do with being a bit louder. If the M2 Air is similar, that seems like a decent result.
I would like to agree with the 12" Macbook as I have it as well. They sound very balanced.
And I agree that Apple Laptops recently are overpowering or at least modifying the bass a lot.

I remember my iPhone X sounding more balanced than the iPhone 12 series. The latter feels like the bass is artificially added into every audio output. My 2015 15" also sound very balanced.

I hope the M2 air will be an upgrade or at least a sidegrade instead of a downgrade from 12" Macbook!

Dont know what people expecting from speakers inside thin laptop, but they’re more then fine for what they are.
I think people are expecting the M2 Macbook Air speakers to not be any worse than the M1 Air or the 12" Macbook. It should be as good, as good but different, or a little better because it is a newer design.

Reactions: Wizec

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Hmm upon reading all the comments, interesting that the M2 Air Speakers is polarizing the opinions on some aspects. It feels like the M2 Air speaker is a side grade instead of the full on upgrade that every new macbook air/pro generation receives.

Due to the thinning of the chassis and speaker location change to make room for the battery. Very interesting.

Has anyone compared the M2 Air speakers with the 12" Macbook speakers? In terms of sound quality and loudness, which ones are better?
i look forward to testing this out (my M2 air will be here... eventually). the 12" MB speakers were terrible, but boom 2 (then boom 3D, for it's eq only) made a somewhat-decent difference.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
i look forward to testing this out (my M2 air will be here... eventually). the 12" MB speakers were terrible, but boom 2 (then boom 3D, for it's eq only) made a somewhat-decent difference.
Agreed. I installed Boom 3D this morning and it’s making the M2 MBA speakers more than adequate for me.

Reactions: fisherking

DENZIE

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
M2 Air speakers are not good. I have been watching lectures and when the lecturer gets loud, something in the M2 Air rattles and buzzes. Fortunately I usually use headphones. My iPad Pro speakers are much better.
I have an M2 air and today when watching a YouTube video I put it up to max volume, and there was a definite distortion/buzz, to the point it sounded like the keys were shaking. It was on my Mac Hi-Rise desk stand at the time.

But later I took the laptop to my bed, and listened to some music with it at full volume, and it sounded amazing for my ears. I tried a bunch of genres, they were all great, and was a relief. Not as amazing as 14" M1 Pro, but really great nonetheless. Good separation with dolby atmos tracks in the music app.

Re distortion, I suspect it might depend what surface the computer is on (?), or maybe it was the YouTube video. I'd test it again whilst in bed but too late at night now :D

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I haven't tested yet. I got my M2 MBA on Wednesday but work and then commitments on the weekend has been limiting my playtime. I did manage to get everything configured by Friday though. This week I plan to spend more time to get acquainted with it. I really want to try out the Dolby Atmos and Spatial Audio with the speakers but it really isn't possible at work.

DENZIE

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
the spatial audio on the 14 pro is unbelievable.. and the m2 air pretty good swell, but I honestly can't think of a good opportunity to use them. In a cubicle at work (risking others thinking...who's that dick?), on the train to work (again, who does that guy think he is! get some headphones already), at home? nope, I'll just ask Siri to playback on my OG HomePods. As amazing as apples MacBook speakers are you need to have your own office, or prepare to be a musical pariah..

Reactions: G5isAlive

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I haven't tested yet. I got my M2 MBA on Wednesday but work and then commitments on the weekend has been limiting my playtime. I did manage to get everything configured by Friday though. This week I plan to spend more time to get acquainted with it. I really want to try out the Dolby Atmos and Spatial Audio with the speakers but it really isn't possible at work.
I was able to test the M1 MBA side by side with the M2 MBA. The sound quality was similar. The Dolby ATMOS playback was much more noticeable on the M1. So much so that it was distracting. But the M1 was also louder to my ears (though there may be manufacturing differences between devices even if they are the same generation.)

All in all, I'm somewhat surprised but the M1 definitely sounded better to me overall. As someone else on this thread said, it really doesn't matter much to me since I have few opportunities to actual play audio through the speakers.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
My recent experience with MBA/MBP speakers include a 16" i7, 14" M1 Pro, 2 different M2 Airs and I finally settled on an M1 Air, as I got a high-ish spec model at a fantastic price.

I would definitely say I enjoy the M1 MBA speakers over the M2, but obviously they do not compare to the 14/16 models. The M2s I had for a few days each did not sound bad at all, but any time I used them, I missed the 14" Pro speakers. The M1 seems louder and clearer to me, so I enjoy using them more than I did with the M2 model, and I don't find myself thinking about the 14" model.

In short, if the 16" speakers were a 10/10, the 14" would be a 9/10, M1 would be a 7/10 and M2 would be a 6/10.

RCElectricFlyer

macrumors member
May 5, 2007
While the MacBook Air M2 speakers sound good for such a thin device, I noticed what I thought was a fair bit of colouration caused by uneven frequency response in the low-mid midrange.

Actual measurements suggest that this audible colouration stems mainly from a dip in amplitude response from about 800 to 1.9 kHz. A fair bit of harmonic distortion in the region of 150-350 Hz may also be a contributing factor. See the informal REW measurements below.

Measurements were taken for L+R speakers with a UMIK-1 with 90deg calibration file applied. The mic was located at the approximate ear position for an operator seated at a desk.

I have no measurements from any other MacBook variant for comparison.

Attachments

• MacBook Air Harnonic Distortion.jpg
    MacBook Air Harnonic Distortion.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 107
  • MacBook Air Frequency Response 1_6 Oct Smoothing.jpg
    MacBook Air Frequency Response 1_6 Oct Smoothing.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 212

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
If you have both machines the M1 has a wider sound stage and is more spatial then the m2.
Partly because if the speaker grills that the m2 doesn’t have.
both are balanced for what they are.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
If you have both machines the M1 has a wider sound stage and is more spatial then the m2.
I definitely heard a wider sound stage on the M1 MBA comparing them side by side. It was especially noticeable with Dolby Atmos music.

Gelam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
I have an M2 air and today when watching a YouTube video I put it up to max volume, and there was a definite distortion/buzz, to the point it sounded like the keys were shaking. It was on my Mac Hi-Rise desk stand at the time.

But later I took the laptop to my bed, and listened to some music with it at full volume, and it sounded amazing for my ears. I tried a bunch of genres, they were all great, and was a relief. Not as amazing as 14" M1 Pro, but really great nonetheless. Good separation with dolby atmos tracks in the music app.

Re distortion, I suspect it might depend what surface the computer is on (?), or maybe it was the YouTube video. I'd test it again whilst in bed but too late at night now :D
Hope it will remain stable at high volumes on all surfaces :)

I was able to test the M1 MBA side by side with the M2 MBA. The sound quality was similar. The Dolby ATMOS playback was much more noticeable on the M1. So much so that it was distracting. But the M1 was also louder to my ears (though there may be manufacturing differences between devices even if they are the same generation.)

All in all, I'm somewhat surprised but the M1 definitely sounded better to me overall. As someone else on this thread said, it really doesn't matter much to me since I have few opportunities to actual play audio through the speakers.
My recent experience with MBA/MBP speakers include a 16" i7, 14" M1 Pro, 2 different M2 Airs and I finally settled on an M1 Air, as I got a high-ish spec model at a fantastic price.

I would definitely say I enjoy the M1 MBA speakers over the M2, but obviously they do not compare to the 14/16 models. The M2s I had for a few days each did not sound bad at all, but any time I used them, I missed the 14" Pro speakers. The M1 seems louder and clearer to me, so I enjoy using them more than I did with the M2 model, and I don't find myself thinking about the 14" model.

In short, if the 16" speakers were a 10/10, the 14" would be a 9/10, M1 would be a 7/10 and M2 would be a 6/10.
My god, all you guys comments makes me worry the M2 Air speakers is a step back compared to the M1 Air! Do you guys think it is the case? Will you guys return the M2 Air and continue using the M1 instead?

While the MacBook Air M2 speakers sound good for such a thin device, I noticed what I thought was a fair bit of colouration caused by uneven frequency response in the low-mid midrange.

Actual measurements suggest that this audible colouration stems mainly from a dip in amplitude response from about 800 to 1.9 kHz. A fair bit of harmonic distortion in the region of 150-350 Hz may also be a contributing factor. See the informal REW measurements below.

Measurements were taken for L+R speakers with a UMIK-1 with 90deg calibration file applied. The mic was located at the approximate ear position for an operator seated at a desk.

I have no measurements from any other MacBook variant for comparison.
Are you an audio engineer? Your tests sound very objective (instead of subjective with ears). Would love to have data like these with other MacBook Speakers as well.

Also, is it possible the "harmonic distortion" and "colouration" be negated/fixed/go away/improve with software update from Apple by adjusting the speakers EQ or whatever sound engineer do with the way it makes sound. Or is it a physical kind of thing that requires redesigning the chassis/speakers?

Gelam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
According to the current poll, it is almost a 50/50 between the M2 and M1 Air. Very polarizing and is worrying!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
According to the current poll, it is almost a 50/50 between the M2 and M1 Air. Very polarizing and is worrying!
that's a split between the M2 air, and all macbook airs from 2018-2020...

EDIT: my observations are no more important than anyone else's, but i've been an audio pro (production & engineering) for a looong time. i had the M1 air for 2 days (installed boom 3D day1), and, when i get my M2 air (whenever it arrives....) will see how it sounds, and compare what i needed to do with boom 3D on the new air, vs the M1, to get a reasonably flat, decent sound. just saying!

Gelam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
that's a split between the M2 air, and all macbook airs from 2018-2020...

EDIT: my observations are no more important than anyone else's, but i've been an audio pro (production & engineering) for a looong time. i had the M1 air for 2 days (installed boom 3D day1), and, when i get my M2 air (whenever it arrives....) will see how it sounds, and compare what i needed to do with boom 3D on the new air, vs the M1, to get a reasonably flat, decent sound. just saying!
Would love to have an objective analysis from you. Do you have some data from M1 Air that you used for 2 days? Or did you just listen to it?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
My god, all you guys comments makes me worry the M2 Air speakers is a step back compared to the M1 Air! Do you guys think it is the case? Will you guys return the M2 Air and continue using the M1 instead?
Just my honest assessment. The speakers are pretty close but the M1 MBA sounds a bit better. Like I said in my post, the speaker quality isn’t very important to me. There are few chances to use them anyway. Certainly the speakers won’t make me return my M2 MBA. The M2 speakers aren’t bad, just not quite as good as the M1 it is replacing.

Reactions: Chateaunole-du-Pape

DENZIE

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
Hope it will remain stable at high volumes on all surfaces :)

Are you an audio engineer? Your tests sound very objective (instead of subjective with ears). Would love to have data like these with other MacBook Speakers as well.

Also, is it possible the "harmonic distortion" and "colouration" be negated/fixed/go away/improve with software update from Apple by adjusting the speakers EQ or whatever sound engineer do with the way it makes sound. Or is it a physical kind of thing that requires redesigning the chassis/speakers?
I really don't think you need to worry. M2 speakers are amazing. And I have an M1 pro 14". If you don't already have an M1 you'll be so thrilled. If you have an M1 and you're truly needing best in class re sound quality you should instead be investing in an M1 Pro machine.

Don't sweat it. The M2 speakers are in my opinion truly amazing, despite the fact they are packaged in such a thin product. Apple's audio division are probably their best engineering department, they know what they're doing.

RCElectricFlyer

macrumors member
May 5, 2007

I'm a mechanical engineer. I suppose shock, vibration and acoustics would be some areas of practical knowledge. I have done some sonar transducer design and do some HiFi loudspeaker design/build projects (example below).

The harmonic distortion here would be caused mainly by mechanical non-linearities and and wouldn't be fixed with equalization. Regardless, equalization can largely abate audible colouration.

Bear in mind the measurements were informal - the arrangement, alignment, physical objects, display angle, distances, etc. between the laptop and the listener will all affect the measured response. Output of the MacBook Air M2 speakers below about 100Hz is so low that distortion measurements in this range are meaningless. Both L & R channels were simultaneously driven so comb filter effects will be present in the amplitude response.

Physical limitations greatly restrict the performance envelope. I would say there are obviously some clever engineers at Apple doing a good job at making these MacBooks sound as good as they do within these limitations and at reasonable cost.

Attachments

• DSC_0137 (1).jpeg
    DSC_0137 (1).jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: fisherking

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Would love to have an objective analysis from you. Do you have some data from M1 Air that you used for 2 days? Or did you just listen to it?
i spent some time with the equalizer in boom 3D. will do the same (need to!) on the M2, and see how that compares. all subjective (of course)...

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver

I consider the M2 speakers to be a "step back" though not terrible by any means. For me, they felt "acceptable" whereas M1 speakers are "enjoyable" - I decided to go with the M1 in the end, not because of the speakers but the savings I was able to get on my particular M1. The audio improvement was just an added perk for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.