Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p35inc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2023
AUDIO - DAC output issues on M2 MacBook Pro:

In the past... I would feed the headphone output of my Mac and feed it to a -10 to +4 converter via a 3.5mm to RCA cable to listen to the output on studio speakers. This has always worked without issue but not with the M2 MacBook Pro.

I tried to hook things up as per usual, including making sure all internal settings were correct BUT there was NO sound from the RCAs.

Per apple tech supports suggestion, I purchased a Powered DAC and hooked it up via USB. Oddly enough, the headphone jack on the DAC received sound but the RCA output still wouldn't work. I have tried 3 different sets of RCA cables so it's not the RCA cable. I know the DAC works because it's outputting sound via it's headphone jack. I also know the -10 to +4 device works because it's working with my other mac, the Mac Studio.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? It's driving me nuts! lol

Last edited:

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Newer Macs have high impedance detection in their 3.5mm jacks, it probably employs some simple voltage test to try to determine if it is a line-level or headphone-level being plugged in. Your case looks like the cabling between the DAC's RCA in and the Mac's 3.5mm is confusing the Mac? However judging by how you got no problems with your Mac Studio, which also does the same high impedance check, it looks like just a MacBook Pro exclusive problem. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Studio being socket powered, vs the MacBook being battery powered thus the circuitry works differently.

I wish Apple would have some software toggle in Audio MIDI app for scenarios like this. They have had a long history of combo audio ports being confused by what's being plugged in, in some 2010 Macs those ports were like triple duty between phone-level, line-level, and TOSLINK, and even TRRS (combo mic headset shipped with iPhones).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.