Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItsAllGonePeteTong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2023
I just recently picked up a m2 Pro Mac mini and have been loving it save for one very annoying issue. If the display has been asleep for an extended period, usually overnight, it won't wake up when I go to use it. The set up is as follows:

m2 Pro Mac mini 10 core, 16GB memory, 512GB storage
LG 27in Ultrafine 5k connected via included thunderbolt 3 cable
Satechi bluetooth keyboard
Apple Magic Mouse

I've tried the Energy Saver setting of not letting the hard disk sleep. I've tried hooking up a wired keyboard to use to wake the machine. The only thing that works is unplugging and reinserting the thunderbolt 3 cable.

I have come across multiple threads on multiple sites, plenty of m1 and m2 mini users complaining of the same issue. It doesn't seem to be tied to one particular brand of display or even the connection being used, whether it's thunderbolt, cdmi or usb c. It's nice to know I'm not completely alone with this bug but also frustrating that it doesn't seem widespread enough to be a major issue that is going to be addressed if it's persisting across multiple generations of the mini. I've submitted it to Apple but I'm also only a week into owning this machine and wondering if I should just cut my losses and return it. Do I try my luck again with another mini hoping I get one that doesn't have the issue? Suck it up and go back to a MacBook Pro?

kodabear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
I have the very same M2 MacMini Pro using two LG 4K monitors. One is hooked up via HDMI and the other via TB 3.
I put it to sleep every night and I do not have any issues that you are experiencing. Sounds like you need to make an appointment with the Genius Bar.

Reactions: ItsAllGonePeteTong

ItsAllGonePeteTong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2023
I have the very same M2 MacMini Pro using two LG 4K monitors. One is hooked up via HDMI and the other via TB 3.
I put it to sleep every night and I do not have any issues that you are experiencing. Sounds like you need to make an appointment with the Genius Bar.
It seems like the vast majority of owners never encounter this issue which is making me want to simply return the computer and buy it again in the hopes that I just got unlucky this time. I've got three more days in my 14 day return window but so far it seems like the people who I've found that share the issue have found little help at the Genius Bar or anywhere else. It's comforting to know that most people have no issues whatsoever.

stafmans

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2023
Hi, I was searching and found this topic: I experience the same issue. A mac mini m2 pro with a msi ps341wu 5k display connected with usb-c 3/4 cable. It takes quite some time (more than a minute) for the monitor to wake from sleep. I thought it was the bluetooth from keyboard or mouse, but maybe indeed it's the monitor. (I will also try wired mouse and keyboard first).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I experienced the same issue on my 8GB/256GB M2 Mac Mini. Samsung monitor attached via HDMI. I resolved the issue by swapping out the HDMI cable with a higher quality cable that I had laying around.

stafmans

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2023
I experienced the same issue on my 8GB/256GB M2 Mac Mini. Samsung monitor attached via HDMI. I resolved the issue by swapping out the HDMI cable with a higher quality cable that I had laying around.
Tx. I will try HDMI (I have a 8K cable). I ordered a high quality usb-c 4 cable (40Gbps) because it was the only option for 5k resolution with my monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.