Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davekro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
No. Calif.
I was wondering what docking station brands and models people have had experience with. The reading and YouTube watching so far seems to mainly refer to the Dell D6000. I can't tell if there are multiple D6000 upgrades over the years. I have not looked too closely as I don't feel I have the tech knowledge to discern Dell docking station versions or if other brands (HP?) have good acceptance for this purpose with M1 or M2 MM Airs'.

Does DisplayLink Manager software cost extra, or is it free/ included with whatever docking station hardware you buy?

I was VERY bummed to find out that the New M2 MB air I had been holding out for did not natively support two monitors. My current mid 2012 Mac Mini does, so imagine my surprise that the new Wiz Bang MB M1 & M2 Airs did NOT! I understand why Apple made that design decision, but no way I need support for ONE 6K monitor... :eek:/ I sucked it up And decided to order a MBA knowing I'd need to buy external hardware for ≈ $300.

davekro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
No. Calif.
Thanks for the link. The video does not mention M2. The Amazon page does not mention M2 either. One review says the second MDMI at only 30hz, "you know the drill on 1/2 the frequency, but it works.". I don't know the drill. What does 30hz vs 60hz look like? I don't know how all this relates with my pair of Dell U2415 Displays 24-inch (1920 x 1200) Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB graphics. Both currently look fine to my eye on my mid 2012 Mac Mini with:

Connections and Expansion​

• Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
  • FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
  • Four USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
  • HDMI port
I plan to use these same monitors with the M2 MBA.

Last edited:

ds2000

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
Startech works great on my M1 but its not showing as a display on the M2, I suspect its driver related.

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
I was wondering what docking station brands and models people have had experience with. The reading and YouTube watching so far seems to mainly refer to the Dell D6000. I can't tell if there are multiple D6000 upgrades over the years. I have not looked too closely as I don't feel I have the tech knowledge to discern Dell docking station versions or if other brands (HP?) have good acceptance for this purpose with M1 or M2 MM Airs'.

Does DisplayLink Manager software cost extra, or is it free/ included with whatever docking station hardware you buy?

I was VERY bummed to find out that the New M2 MB air I had been holding out for did not natively support two monitors. My current mid 2012 Mac Mini does, so imagine my surprise that the new Wiz Bang MB M1 & M2 Airs did NOT! I understand why Apple made that design decision, but no way I need support for ONE 6K monitor... :eek:/ I sucked it up And decided to order a MBA knowing I'd need to buy external hardware for ≈ $300.
http://m1displays.com have some great recommendations, including the D6000.

Reactions: davekro

davekro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
No. Calif.
The Dell D6000S dock spec says it supports the following.
A) Two external displays at 3840 x 2160 pixels each- 60hz
B) Three displays: two at 3840 x 2160 pixels each- 60hz, 3rd at 3840 x 2160 pixels each- 30hz. (Am I correct to assume that this "3rd at 30hz" would only apply to a 3rd 'external' display, not the M2's native display?)

If I want to keep the M2's display active as a third separate screen, would the Dell Dock just operate my two 1920 x 1200 displays at 60hz and the M2 MBA operate its native 2560 x 1664- 60hz display on the internal hardware, just as if there were no dock with two external displays also running?

What aspect of performance are impacted by
1) The two external monitors alone running vs. just the MBA on its own?
2) The two external monitors running as well as the MBA on its own?
Do monitors mostly consume 8-core GPU capacity? Does more displays running also have a noticeable impact on CPU %?

Am I correct to assume that my lower spec 1920 x 1200 displays are would be less taxing than higher res. displays on GPU/CPU?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.