Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
I just received my M2 Pro Mac Mini to go along with my new Apple Studio Display and so far I love the combo except for one annoying thing... I know how to change the speakers when my Mac mini is booted to go through ASD, but what about on startup? The Mac mini speaker is pathetic and sounds like a 1980's mac booting up and playing the chime to the point I turned off the startup sound.

Is there any way to have the startup sound come from the ASD speakers or not possible as the connection to the ASD is not yet communicating?

I am coming from a late 2017 iMac 5k for reference...

Reactions: michelg1970

michelg1970

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2011
The Hague - The Netherlands
I fully agree that when you buy a premium product for a premium price you don't expect a mediocre 80s / 90s sound. I was too excited when I installed my new MM but in retrospect it was a big disappointment.

We could of course file a class suit on Apple for taking us for fools or start a poll about Tim's performance but I found the solution that if you don't shut down, you won't start up, so no pathetically insulting chime.

(This was the standup comedian in me)

I fully agree @icemantx and am curious to find out if there is a solution, also for non-ASD users like me.

kerochan

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2015
London
Guys, there are worse things in life than a 1.5 second start up sound coming through a Mac Mini! mine is hooked up to a Universal Audio Interface and Genelec monitors, after start up it reverts to all the sound coming through the monitors.
The Macmini M1 is the best computer I have ever had, albeit with the worst speakers, but for 1 second I really don't care!

Reactions: colodane

kerochan

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2015
London
No worries, I can only suggest having the volume turned off each time you shut down the computer, unless someone else has an idea.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
I did see that you can turn off the startup chime with Ventura in settings so for now I have turned it off.

Reactions: colodane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.