Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyc0nn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2024
Hey everyone,

Just grabbed the 16" MBP M2 Pro (1TB, 32GB RAM, 12 CPU cores, 19 GPU cores) and it's been great. However, the new M3 Pro (1TB, 36GB RAM, 12 CPU cores, 18 GPU cores) caught my eye on Apple's site. It offers more RAM, improved power efficiency, and faster cores, albeit with slightly lower memory bandwidth and one less GPU core. Plus, there's the new space black color, all for an $80 difference.

With my M2 return window about to close, I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to the M3 Pro. Considering the specs, do the benefits of the M3 justify the switch? I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences, particularly if you've navigated a similar decision.

Thanks for your input!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
For $80 I’d definitely take that upgrade. Depending on how you’re returning the old Mac and the lead time on the new, you might not even be without a computer (I.e. if you can set up the return, get the new one within a few days, transfer over, then send back the old).

abrasion

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2024
well you said return window so you are buying new. I would return and go for the m3 personally since it's only $80 more. But if you're still on the fence probably check out blender open data benchmarks, as well as resale value for both to help you make a decision.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Yeah I agree with the others who say go for it with only a $80 difference. The minor spec differences you may not notice, and who knows you may use or at least have a little more cushion with the 4GB more RAM, you also know that just being the next gen device you will have at minimum another year of support/longevity not to mention the space Black which between the last two options I would say is worth the $80 more, but I am personally a big fan of the space black.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
The M3, as noted, does not show a significant difference from your M2. So why switch? The 4GB of extra ram are not giving you any performance boost. Only thing you would get with the new computer is to be able to say you have the the latest chip. Seems to me you would be wasting $80. If the $80 is burning a hole in your pocket, buy lottery tickets results will likely be the same, you see no difference, but with the lottery ticket you have the chance to be set for life. :)

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
for $80? of course go with the M3 pro...maybe not now, but you dont know if you will need the ray tracing and others gpu improvements...if you keep your laptop for 1-2 years , then dont bother but if you keep it for longer, its better to have and not need than vice versa...for $80

SteveOm

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2023
If your work or play benefits from GPU enhancements like ray tracing (like you play games on it or you dabble in 3D art), then the M3 difference is definitely worth more than $80. Plus as the world builds in more AI and Apple emphasizes on device AI, the "slight" improvements will add up.

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
I was holding out for a 64GB M3 Max studio and decided to get a much-discounted base M2 Max (32GB) instead. It does everything I need and no longer annoyed at high memory pressure slowness on the 16GB m2 pro.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I agree that it seems like a no-brainer for $80, especially if you can have both machines on hand at once to make the data transfer smooth and easy. Extra RAM normally costs a lot more than that, plus you'll have faster single core, better resale value (not as "old" when you go to sell it), ray tracing capable GPU, and better energy efficiency. Probably slightly longer support from Apple, too, and maybe other benefits of having a newer gen chip design.

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
If your work or play benefits from GPU enhancements like ray tracing (like you play games on it or you dabble in 3D art), then the M3 difference is definitely worth more than $80. Plus as the world builds in more AI and Apple emphasizes on device AI, the "slight" improvements will add up.
For the games part possibly with native titles (very few) and very low levels of raytracing but an m3 isn't powerful enough to enable raytracing at playable framerates. Really shouldn't be getting Mac for (only) gaming when typically, Max is just passable, and Ultra is decent. Its a bonus pretty much.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

Just grabbed the 16" MBP M2 Pro (1TB, 32GB RAM, 12 CPU cores, 19 GPU cores) and it's been great. However, the new M3 Pro (1TB, 36GB RAM, 12 CPU cores, 18 GPU cores) caught my eye on Apple's site. It offers more RAM, improved power efficiency, and faster cores, albeit with slightly lower memory bandwidth and one less GPU core. Plus, there's the new space black color, all for an $80 difference.

With my M2 return window about to close, I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to the M3 Pro. Considering the specs, do the benefits of the M3 justify the switch? I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences, particularly if you've navigated a similar decision.

Thanks for your input!
It's absolutely worth it to upgrade. If not for the extra power, but for 1 more year being able to use the latest Mac OS natively. If it were up to me, it wouldn't even have been a question!

I can see the thread is from 8 days ago - what have you decided in the end, @nyc0nn?

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
The M3 generation also has a better video decoder which supports AV1. Who knows the features MacOS and AI will bring in the future, so I believe that the right choice was to get the M3 series chip for that little difference in cost.

Reactions: JustAnExpat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.