Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkduke

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2019
No. The black one with M3 pro will be the default one. Black color does not come with M3 base model.
Black option is a $500 upgrade from the M3. I guess the M3 Macbook pro obviously cannot afford such premium color.

Last edited:

newton4000

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
Any thoughts on whether the 14" Pro battery life will improve with this for the Pro or Max models?. It's good right now, but not great.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I would agree if not for the fact that it supports only 1 external display. That keeps me squarely in the M3Pro as my main MacBook. Truthfully, with Apple Silicon I don't need Pro or Max so this external display limitation is the only thing that pushes me up the line.

QuietGamer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
US
Not with 8GB of ram its not.

Honestly if 8GB of ram is enough one should just get a cheaper Air.
IDK. I had an M1Pro '14 which was replaced with a M2 Air as my couch driver. 8 gig will do for most web surfer, content consumption uses. I do miss the promotion display the most.

If I was limited to one computer I would go with the M3 MBP. Feature set wise it has most of the best that Apple has to offer in a Laptop.

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
Agreeing with the crowd that a pro with 8GB RAM starting at that price is just.. eh.

And the rest of the laptop seem really nice for the price.. It's just that one glaring flaw. Well, that and the continued one-monitor limitation.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
8GB base RAM - in 2023. What a joke!

Yeah if this started with 12GB of RAM I'd actually be a huge fan, but starting a "Pro" laptop with 8GB in 2023 is just horrid. The base 2015 Macbook had 8GB of RAM for gods sake, time to move on.

Well, except for the fact that 8GB still works brilliantly with Apple silicon for most people for most things. People who hate on this simply haven't used an 8GB M1/M2 for any length of time because it handles literally everything you throw at it without becoming slow or unresponsive. Yes - you can get it to go choppy if you open stupid numbers of Chrome tabs, or do multiple 40GB photoshop exports, but most 'normal' computer users don't do that.

That said. At that price, I'd rather go refurb M2Pro with 16/512. More bang for buck imo.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The lineup is comically bloated and confusing imo

Now only 3 usb ports? Space black behind a paywall? M3 when it makes it’s way to airs if it does will make the base m3 pros a confusing choice.

8gb up to a 1699 config?

Now 18gb option? Awkward spec

I dunno… they should’ve just offered m3 pro @ 16/512 for the lower price and called it a day imo

CloudsNeverDie

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2015
Well, except for the fact that 8GB still works brilliantly with Apple silicon for most people for most things. People who hate on this simply haven't used an 8GB M1/M2 for any length of time because it handles literally everything you throw at it without becoming slow or unresponsive. Yes - you can get it to go choppy if you open stupid numbers of Chrome tabs, or do multiple 40GB photoshop exports, but most 'normal' computer users don't do that.
But the point is, this is on their Pro model, targeted at Pro computer users.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010

That said. At that price, I'd rather go refurb M2Pro with 16/512. More bang for buck imo.
Avid base 24 inch M1 iMac user here :)

Reactions: aParkerMusic

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
This base $1,599 M3 MBP 14 makes even less sense than the $1,299 M2 MBP 13.

Apple is basically forcing you to buy the mini LED display for $300. In the past, you paid $100 extra for the privilege of having a fan. Soon, you'll pay $300 more for XDR and a fan. You're still stuck with a single external display.

This is the only Pro computer in the world where you can't use all the ports at the same time.

USB-C DisplayPort + HDMI? No go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.