m3 vs. m5?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PeterSmith, Apr 24, 2016.

1. PeterSmith, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016

PeterSmith macrumors member

Going to be using a MB as a second, ultraportable, machine -- for working in library/coffee shops and sofa surfing. So that's basically word-processing (using LaTeX), reading PDFs, email, Safari etc.

Simple question: Would I notice any significant difference between the m3 and m5 models in that kind of real life use (I won't really need the larger SSD)?

2. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

If you don't need the storage space, wouldn't the question be between m3 and m7?

3. PeterSmith thread starter macrumors member

OK ... let the question be, would bumping up the processor one or two notches be worth it, given the intended kind of usage?

4. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I am asking myself the same question so I got no clear answer. Judging only from the Geekbench scores that have been presented it is a clear yes from me. The problem is I am not sure the big performance gap will be present when the computers been used for a few hours at varying loads and you then try to do a high load task.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The m3 should be more than sufficient for your needs.

6. Mollan macrumors member

Mollan

It is exactly my target usage (plus some Excel, R, Evernote and Pixelmator). I honestly never upgraded the specs from a Mac since I always found the upgrade prices definitely too high and 300€ can be used for a lot of more useful stuff (like Apple Care, hub, cover or almost an iPad Mini!). If I want a better processor, for 300€ I'd definitely go for the m5+512 SSD.

7. bhodinut macrumors member

bhodinut

I've attached the Cinebench for the M3/256. I just swapped it for an M5/512. While the M5 is better for burst speed I really didn't see much improvement with Cinebench.

M3 model CPU = 209 CPU(single)=86 MP Ratio 2.43x
    M5 model CPU = 215 CPU(single)=90 MP Ratio 2.37x

Pretty close.

Attached Files:

• m3.jpg
      m3.jpg
      File size:
      270.4 KB
      Views:
  8. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

I'm finding the M3 to be more than ample for the same kind of usage. Not seeing any kind of slowdown with multiple apps roaring. It shows how far architecture has come in the last 3 years, since my 2013 MacBook Air with an i7 doesn't seem to offer much of an improvement.

9. EgGKeith macrumors member

I think the main concern is the SSD's size, if 256 is enough for u, I don't think M3 and M5 will hv much different.

10. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

About the same usage as you, and I'm more than happy with my m3! I asked myself the same question and couldn't see the price justification for what I need it for. Save your money :)

11. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

Exactly the same thought process here. My MacBook Air was upgraded to the max, but i never really felt like that extra £300 was justified as I never did anything that required the extra grunt of the i7. My M3 is managing beautifully.

12. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I really cant decide if I should get the m7 or m3. It is bugging me. I have a tendency to overdo stuff (buying 128 GB iPads so I can bring movies on the one long flight I take per year) so I am trying to not do that anymore.

In Sweden the m3 costa $1600 after a student discount so even that one is decently expensive, so splurging even more is wasteful if I really dont need it.

Anybody try som development in xcode/Intel XDK with the m3? My main use would be using as a mobile code machine when I dont want to sit at my desk, and main code machine for xcode. Might rven launch some old strategy game if im bored.

13. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

I have a m3 with Eclipse, Atom, iTunes playing, Safari tabs...all going in separate spaces for the past 15 min. Battery still at 100%, nothing is warm and no lag. Obviously that's not heavy usage for some, but for me I couldn't be happier! This machine is suhweet!

14. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Sounds nice. Not sure how heavy Eclipse is compared to Intel XDK/Xcode. Do you run any simulator in Eclipse?

I most likely rather get the m3 if I wont need more and save the extra cash for upgrading next year.

15. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

I haven't ever used Xcode. Been wanting to learn it and mess around. Eclipse is a pretty light Java IDE. I'm just running basic sims...limited graphics. Mostly command line tests and GUI's. I imagine Xcode deals with a lot more graphically intense sims. Someone else will have to correct me if I'm wrong.

16. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Okay, thanks!

Right now im working on a hybrid app in Intel XDK so im using the emulator there quite a bit, shouldnt be THAT intensive though. Would be awesome if stuff works on the m3, cant really get to know though and we dont have a return period here, unless I buy online and ship it back.

17. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

The best bet would be to post in this thread.
    Best bet would be to post your scenario in this thread. The OP is a professional developer. I'm sure someone would know.

Like I said though, I think the m3 is handling everything great! I wonder if your emulator usage would rely more on the GPU. It was given a nice bump in this year's MB.