M370x throttling fix!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dingobiatch, Jan 14, 2016.

1. dingobiatch macrumors member

Hey guys,

I've been trying to find a fix for the M370x and *finally* it appears someone has found one. I'll link to the forum post when I get a chance, but for now, here is the basic idea:

- Download MSI Afterburner
    - In the settings, disable ULPS and set unofficial overclocking to 'without PowerPlay'
    - set clock speed to something barely over stock (I set mine to 810)
    - if all works well for you, you can save this and apply at boot (it's an option at the bottom of the main screen)

Funny enough, my GPU temp seems to be *lower* doing this... it stays around 87 degrees rather than going up to the 90's.

[Obviously this is not what Apple intended so this would probably kill your warranty if something happened]

2. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

any failures/complications/damage as a result of this "fix" will 110% void your warranty, which is quite valuable on a 2500 dollar laptop.

listen guys, if you really want to play games, just build a PC for 700 dollars.

3. dingobiatch thread starter macrumors member

true. just putting the fix/tweak out there for those who are interested.

4. content macrumors member

content

Hey, thanks. Please post a link when you have time.

5. sentential macrumors regular

Given I'm on my 3rd logic board I do not think this is a good idea. If throttling is your issue you're better off disabling turbo boost of the processor by limiting it to 99% under advanced power options than this

6. swenak macrumors member

7. sentential macrumors regular

I stand corrected then, believes me when I say I'm not going to defend this laptop, send it to depot like I did

8. swenak macrumors member