M395X vs M295X benchmarks

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mattoligy, Oct 27, 2015.

1. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

Ok I have been searching Macrumors and Google for well over an hour now and my head is spinning. So in fear I will be told off for starting another thread of this nature, I really hope there is someone that can shed some light on this...

Is the R395X a genuine upgrade to its predecessor because from what I am reading (from limited information) the new chip is in fact the exact same GPU as last years R295X in the form of a "rebrand". If this is the case I don't feel happy to pull the trigger on a top of the line iMac let alone pay hundreds more for the step up in GPUs. Last years tech, really?

Is there a change in architecture? A higher clock speed? Does anyone have benchmarks comparing the two?

Thanks

2. aidler macrumors member

[​IMG]

3. Nirurin macrumors member

Ignore this, cos it's not actually right. It's the 'offical' specs maybe, but the clock speed is wrong for sure. The 395 is set to around 850 I think and the 395x is set to... 907? I'll try and find the right numbers in a minute and post again.

edit:

m395 = 1792 shaders, 834mhz, 2gb DDr5

m395x = 2048 shaders, 909mhz, 4gb DDr5

4. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

As you said the numbers are wrong. This is obvious from the 250W TDP figure. A $2,100 10-core Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 has a TDP of 160 watts. Such CPUs require a multi-fan air cooler the size of a large grapefruit or liquid cooling. How could a mobile-class air-cooled GPU inside a thin iMac have a TDP twice that of a high-end Xeon? Since the writer of that table did not even sanity check obvious things like this, I wouldn't trust the other numbers either.

5. OSB macrumors member

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2985&cmp[]=3340

You can also check out the nifty bar chart here:
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

The benchmarks - albeit early and run in Windows, place the M395x about ~16% faster than the M295X. Actual FPS comparisons I've seen around the web, including on this site, are about consistent with how I'd expect a theoretical 16% to translate IRL -- that is, about 4-6 FPS from game settings that got ~60FPS under the M295x.