Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quadcoreguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Hey guys my initial disk speed test for the m4 was 261,510
But damn now I'm getting 257,510. Is there a slight deterioriation in speed ? Should I enable trim ?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm sure the difference in speed is within the margin of error in the test program. You're talking about a less than 5 MB/s.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
But damn now I'm getting 257,510. Is there a slight deterioriation in speed ? Should I enable trim ?

You're worried about 4MB/s? No you do not need to enable trim. Restart your computer and try the speeds again. 260 mb is the advertised write speed, so I think you are good.

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK

1- It wouldn't hurt to enable trim anyway, it won't hurt anything else. Try looking for an app in google called trim enabler.

2- If your worried about deterioration or signs of aging, then I wouldn't be putting the SSD through benchmarks, tests or any forms of unnecessary stress tests as this is just going to wear it out quicker. Just use it and enjoy it.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Yes you should but not because of some meager 5 MB.
In this thread I posted what happened to my non trimmed M4 after a couple months.

Ever since I enabled trim and deleted all empty space speed doesn't drop the tiniest bit.
The m4 without Trim is just as bad as all the old drives of from a few years ago. Garbage Collection just cannot do a whole lot without Trim. Most people just don't understand how it works and think it will just clean up given enough time. My drive had more than enough idle time and never managed to clean up or recover. Those benches haven't been after some heavy load but simple everyday stuff that is mostly just sitting there while I typ on a document or surf the web.

Minicube

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
Yes, even with Trim enabled my M4 disk stopped working one day. This happened after about 9 months of use. I contacted Crucial and they told me to remove the disk from the computer, put into an external case and plug into another computer so it could clean the garbage. I thought this was nonsense, but I did it and it actually worked. The garbage got cleaned and my disk started working again, good as new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.