Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
The scores look amazing, especially pleased to see a nice single core boost!

Here is the YouTube vid…

I have also copied the graphs…

IMG_0221.jpeg

IMG_0222.jpeg

IMG_0223.jpeg

IMG_0224.jpeg

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
This is truly incredible. I have an M1 Pro 16" MBP... It still does everything I need it to do, sometimes without even batting an eye... I suspect I won't upgrade for a long while, and when I do, I may just go for a MBA on M7 or M8 given the trajectory of the speed of these things. It's wild!

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
Yepp... That's quite an impressive score... didn't expect a another leap forward after the M3 but rather a minor refresh of perhaps 10%... not 20%+
As someone who just bought an M3 MacBook: WTF Apple?
I mean I'm perfectly happy with the performance of the M3, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people will now wait for the M4 Macbooks knowing the CPU is already outdated...

Anyway, the CPU is wasted in the iPad... like putting a V8 on a lawn mower...

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Yepp... That's quite an impressive score... didn't expect a another leap forward after the M3 but rather a minor refresh of perhaps 10%... not 20%+
As someone who just bought an M3 MacBook: WTF Apple?
I mean I'm perfectly happy with the performance of the M3, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people will now wait for the M4 Macbooks knowing the CPU is already outdated...

Anyway, the CPU is wasted in the iPad... like putting a V8 on a lawn mower...

I get where you’re coming from but the average MacBook buyer in my opinion is not spec driven but wants an affordable Mac experience. I doubt that most would care about the high end iPad chips right now.

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
People who are moving to the Mac from Windows where it's their first Macbook: yes... -but those who upgrade will likely stick with their current device a little longer, because those who are upgrading are in most cases doing so because their old HW is too slow, so for them specs matter.

Reactions: Newgoblin49

m1mini

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
They might skip m4 pro and go straight to m4, m4 max and m4 ultra. An overclocked (as per mac apple silicon fashion) m4 with few more gpu cores can easily match m3 pro performance while delivering 2x more npu power thanks to the inclusion of half precision instructions. This can allow them to deliver m3 pro performance in the 1.599 base mx mbp sku with hopefully 16gb ram this time. I'm not sad that I bought an m3 pro model, I'm just in awe of this generational bump as m3 family is already stupid fast, and i'm excited for my 2027-8 macbook or ipad pro purchase

Thisismattwade

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2020
I get where you’re coming from but the average MacBook buyer in my opinion is not spec driven but wants an affordable Mac experience. I doubt that most would care about the high end iPad chips right now.
Hi, that's me! I just bought a base M1 MBA from Walmart for $699. I follow Apple products pretty closely, and yet this M1 MBA is blazing fast for my needs. It's still such an incredible machine.

That being said, I'm impressed with the M4. I really want the new iPad because it looks like a big improvement over my 2018 11" iPP, but I don't have the spare change.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
It's been suggested that we should see about 12% gain year on year in single core currently.... which lines up nicely and puts us about 6 months ahead of the curve with the M series chips, considering the launch of the M1 3 1/2 years ago. 👍🏼

Last edited:

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
Phew! If true (early geekbench scores of M3 were a little high), this is a way more significant jump then I expected. That single core score is nuts. Needed a 14 in' MBP this year and got a legend deal on an M3 Max -- but now I'm like, so what? Well -- honestly, we don't know the core layout and I need performance cores for my audio workflow. However, if the new MBP line comes with OLED, face id, monstrous single core performance it might be tempting.

Unfortunately, Apple will make sure that getting the keys to the M4 kingdom will come at a hefty price.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Stares at his soon to be 20% slower MBP 16 M3Max...
This new N3 process is almost like another process node upgrade...
Wow a Mac Studio with M4Max is going to be crazy fast.

Reactions: zapmymac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.