Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
In the press release for the M4 iPad Pro Apple stated "The new Smart Folio for iPad Pro attaches magnetically and now supports multiple viewing angles for greater flexibility."
While I don't get the iPad of course until Wednesday, the new Smart Folio was available for pickup today and it indeed has a different design on the angles. There are now three magnetic preset angles. When pushed all the way to the bottom the angle is much steeper than the M1/M2 iPad Smart Folio. You can adjust the flap up to get two shallower angles - which you could kinda do with the old version but now there appears to be more magnets that make the different settings actual magnetized instead of just the weight of the iPad keeping the flap higher. The most shallow setting with the magnetic snap seems to be about 50 degrees. Below are photos of the case with the flap in the steepest position and the most shallow position.
BTW - the Smart Folio came with a white cardboard insert that you can see in the photos below - I measured it at 5mm so it is basically the thickness of the 13" iPad Pro - and it feels wicked thin in your hand.
The Smart Folio case itself weighs 286g.

steep.jpg
shallow.jpg

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Nice. I really want the Magic Keyboard, but in truth for most of my usage the Smart Folio Case would probably be more appropriate. Maybe what I will do is get the Magic Keyboard and see what the third party options to the Smart Folio Case are like.

Yandawg

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2019
Thanks for this info! I was very curious what Apple was talking about because i couldn’t tell how anything had changed by their photos. Much appreciated!!

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Does the front easily fold back behind, for handheld use....?
I have been used to a silicon cover on my 1st gen, which Apple don't sell for newer iPads.

When folded back does it 'stick' to the back cover, or is it floppy.

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Great, considering how weak the previous version is. I may even get this, but I want to see it in the store,

Last edited:

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Not for me: Apple's Folio is silly overpriced for what it is, and still no side protection (very useful for keeping unmarked for later trade or sale). I went with ESR's new Hybrid Rebound Case 360 - full protection on sides & now the ability to magnetically detach that inner protection case from the kick stand itself:

One of the hidden attractions I found was in the ability to also swap that inner protection sleeve between the rebound kick stand & ESR's new keyboard case, ie for computer-like operation or simple kick stand for netflix etc.
Not at all interested in Apple's vastly overpriced new Magic keyboard, so I went for this one instead.

Another one in the new ESR range that I didn't quite get at first is the Shift Magnetic Case:
But some of the reviews cover those differences well & expecially if pairing with a bluetooth keyboard, eg:

13" 256G iPad Pro arrives tomorrow, so we shall see.
BTW having to buy the 1TB model to get the nano texture glass & an extra core is also silly gouging again.
Better for me to get the ERS bundle with paper-feel screen protectors.

Not there are not other brand options about for the new iPads, but with the exception of one pricey Otterbox folio, ESR is one of the very few that actually have products ready to ship now. I don't have any affililiation with ESR but couldn't help but notice the new range; have also used their other stuff before & it usually delivers well.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Not for me: Apple's Folio is silly overpriced for what it is, and still no side protection (very useful for keeping unmarked for later trade or sale). I went with ESR's new Hybrid Rebound Case 360 - full protection on sides & now the ability to magnetically detach that inner protection case from the kick stand itself:

One of the hidden attractions I found was in the ability to also swap that inner protection sleeve between the rebound kick stand & ESR's new keyboard case, ie for computer-like operation or simple kick stand for netflix etc.
Not at all interested in Apple's vastly overpriced new Magic keyboard, so I went for this one instead.

Another one in the new ESR range that I didn't quite get at first is the Shift Magnetic Case:
But some of the reviews cover those differences well & expecially if pairing with a bluetooth keyboard, eg:

13" 256G iPad Pro arrives tomorrow, so we shall see.
BTW having to buy the 1TB model to get the nano texture glass & an extra core is also silly gouging again.
Better for me to get the ERS bundle with paper-feel screen protectors.

Not there are not other brand options about for the new iPads, but with the exception of one pricey Otterbox folio, ESR is one of the very few that actually have products ready to ship now. I don't have any affililiation with ESR but couldn't help but notice the new range; have also used their other stuff before & it usually delivers well.
Are those keyboard cases Bluetooth though?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Sure, I have no problem with that. The ESR cost me AUD$113 delivered, the Apple equivalent is well over AUD$540. Cannot at all justify this.
Fair enough.

BTW, what is the key spacing on those? Apple does 19 mm for the MacBooks and 12.9" iPad Pros, and 18 mm for the old 11" iPad Pros. For the newer models, I assume it's the same 19 and 18 mm.

You can measure this by measuring from the left edge of the A key to the left edge of the H key and dividing by 5. Both 19 and 18 mm are considered ergonomic. My preference is 19 mm but I'm OK with 18 mm too. However, I find 17 mm uncomfortable.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Fair enough.

BTW, what is the key spacing on those? Apple does 19 mm for the MacBooks and 12.9" iPad Pros, and 18 mm for the old 11" iPad Pros. For the newer models, I assume it's the same 19 and 18 mm.

You can measure this by measuring from the left edge of the A key to the left edge of the H key and dividing by 5. Both 19 and 18 mm are considered ergonomic. My preference is 19 mm but I'm OK with 18 mm too. However, I find 17 mm uncomfortable.
No idea. Why not have a look at the ESR website or ask them? I’ve their customer suppor to be excellent.

Reactions: GuruZac

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
No idea. Why not have a look at the ESR website or ask them? I’ve their customer suppor to be excellent.
I thought you had an ESR already? BTW, their site seems to be buggy with Safari on Sonoma 14.5, and also, I can't seem to contact them since I don't have WhatsApp.

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
I went with ESR's new Hybrid Rebound Case 360 - full protection on sides & now the ability to magnetically detach that inner protection case from the kick stand itself:
Apple have a USP at the moment with their multiple angles. I suspect we will start to see the case manufacturers copy this feature in their folios.
I have this one ready and waiting for my new iPad. The wide variety of view modes and level of protection are impressive. It is rather bulky though, seems a shame to "spoil" the iPad's thinness.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Apple have a USP at the moment with their multiple angles. I suspect we will start to see the case manufacturers copy this feature in their folios.

I have this one ready and waiting for my new iPad. The wide variety of view modes and level of protection are impressive. It is rather bulky though, seems a shame to "spoil" the iPad's thinness.
That’s what I’m thinking. The ESR cases while cheap add too much bulk. I think I will have to suck it up and just buy a Smart Folio.

Reactions: F-Stop and asleep
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.