M4 SSD firmware 0009 and TRIM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benito, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Benito macrumors 6502a

Benito

I've successfully installed the Crucial M4 512 GB SSD with the 0009 firmware in my 2011 15" MBP. I'm now wondering about TRIM and whether I should enable it and if I should, how should I do that. There appears to be more than one way to enable TRIM on the net.

I would appreciate hearing the experience of others who have done it, is it a good thing to enable and does it cause any problems?

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

TRIM enabler.

You won't see the results immediately. Only after a few years.

3. Benito thread starter macrumors 6502a

Benito

Yes TRIM enabler, but there appears to be more than one TRIM enabler out there in the internet. Oh and I am running Lion since that seems to make a difference in choice.

4. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Use this script..I got it form the OCZ forums..it doesn't work in a few years it solved some of my issues overnight, combined with Sandforce

The trim enabler app has been bad for me both times I tried it once with 10.6.8 and once with 10.7.0

Also check out the manual trim after you enable it, it here if you search.... basically you boot into single user mode and type in fsck -ffy

it's a file system check but if trim is enabled you'll see a line that says "trimming drive"

Attached Files:

5. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Don't use TRIM enabler on Lion, it installs an older modified driver from Snow Leopard. Either use the method from the terminal to do it or wait for the updated tool the author of Trim Enabler is producing.

Oh and the command is fsck -fy

The second f is superfluous.

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Thanks for the restate...:0)

Trim enabler is bad..that script is good...

the ffy isn't necessary in OSX..I know it's not for linux but assumed it was for OSX..for a variety of reasons..

7. yui4 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

@germanychris. Does your zip file prevent the need to type anything into terminal?

Thanks

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Why is Trim Enabler bad?

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Yes

----------

Groths trim enabler is bad..

This is one of those things that google will help on...some people have had success others not...the script doesn't replace the whole kext and is graphic..

10. Jrv macrumors regular

Wow, that must have cost as much as the macbook itself...

11. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

$780 on Amazon

12. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

On Snow Leopard, it's fine. On Lion, it replaces the kext with an older one from Snow Leopard. This older kext could well be missing key functions that Lion depends upon to work. The method of enabling TRIM through the use of terminal commands modifies the kext on Lion without replacing it with the older file from SL.

13. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Thanks for warning me - I was going to use that.

14. Benito thread starter macrumors 6502a

Benito

No where close. The MBP has the BTO i7 2.3 GHz processor and the HD Matte screen. The SSD was $130 off at newegg.ca.