Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pakra

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2021
IMG_20220401_025038.jpg
Recently, I received a Blueberry LCD in very good condition in exchange for a CPU upgrade. However, there was a problem: in certain angles, the image would stop updating, corrupting the colors and making vertical lines appear. Since the image could work if it was held with support, I thought the problem was fixable.

I received it and opened it up... a challenge of its own since there is no teardown guide on the internet. Well, you can pop the bezel off with four back screws and strategic pokes at the two middle plastic latches, and you have access to the LCD and the board, the latter being very well protected in metal shielding. Unscrewing every screw (including a screw ring fastening the audio output connector to the shielding) will let your board loose.

I started by checking the connectors, capacitors and other obvious components. Couldn't see anything wrong. Next, I poked around and flexed the board slightly with a plastic tool while it was running. Pressing down in the middle fixed the glitchiness, so I managed to narrow down the area. I then poked around with a small wooden stick, next to capacitors and pins, and then found the culprit. It was a loose pin to the main chip (the one with a heatsink attached to it). An incredibly subtle fault. A quick pass with the soldering iron to resolder the pins has revitalized the display and it now works perfectly.

IMG_20220430_034330.jpg

IMG_20220507_144021.jpg

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That was great, thanks @pakra . Nice of you to join the Blueberry Studio Display club! I think they've got to be the coolest flat panels ever made – though it's a bit weird that they have ADB side ports, instead of USB; Apple rightly corrected that in their DVI Graphite Studio Display.

Sadly mine has had a problem for the past few months, but it's horizontal lines instead of vertical. It started out as one line, but has now converged to about 5. The fact they are all at the same place makes me think there is some kind of problem with the contacts, and perhaps cleaning them with contact cleaner could help.

But like you said, there were no teardown guides, and I couldn't work out how to remove the front bezel – was scared I'd break the plastic. Well, I'll give it another shot now, and see how I go.

8B3710DF-A140-443B-BF44-3F9E2D400058.jpeg

pakra

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2021
@mectojic A tell-tale sign that solder joints have dried up is if you hold the display and push it around (thus, flexing the board) and it stabilizes at a certain angle. From what I can tell, the stand itself is screwed in to the metal shielding containing the board, so no wonder it could have caused this problem, especially after constant usage of the LCD, heating up and cooling down. It was so bad on mine that, when I first opened it up, the internal plug for the ADB cables at the bottom fell completely off due to old solder. But as far as I can tell, these were the only faults I could see.

As for opening it up, it's fairly easy once you get it, it's much less of a pain than opening the display bezel to the clamshell. Unscrew the four screws, pop off the bezel off the top with a spudger, then the sides, and then the two hooks (you can see them as two dark rectangles on each side of the apple logo) push both of them towards the apple. At this point just lift the bezel away from the LCD and it should pop out.

I agree, it's a shame these came with ADB as I could make use of the side ports. I had an idea about making a simple ADB->USB cable, which could work since they both use 4 cables and carry a 5v line - though, the monitor itself apparently makes use of ADB to send resolution information to OS9. One would probably have to double check the board to possibly remove any connections between the ADB interface and monitor and it could work out.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
As for opening it up, it's fairly easy once you get it, it's much less of a pain than opening the display bezel to the clamshell. Unscrew the four screws, pop off the bezel off the top with a spudger, then the sides, and then the two hooks (you can see them as two dark rectangles on each side of the apple logo) push both of them towards the apple. At this point just lift the bezel away from the LCD and it should pop out.
Am I meant to push the blue plastic, or is there a whie plastic tab I'm meant to nudge towards the apple? I can't really see in the tight space.

pakra

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2021
Am I meant to push the blue plastic, or is there a whie plastic tab I'm meant to nudge towards the apple? I can't really see in the tight space.
Yeah, it's a tight space, can't see much. I drew a tiny guide.

latches.png

• Love
Reactions: philgxxd

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I finally managed to fix my Blueberry Studio Display. After disassembly, I established that the problem of horizontal lines was with the LCD, not the motherboard. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to fix the LCD itself, but amazingly there are still some replacement screens for sale on Ebay. It was a simple matter of swapping out the screen for a new one at that point.

The new one is great – though there are some occasional stuck pixels, and I'm not sure what to do about those.... sometimes they go away.

Glamour shot (ft the Macally iMediakey and Intellimouse).

Attachments

• 5F02DA15-DAF2-4E90-9DB2-29F4CEA46EC8.jpeg
    5F02DA15-DAF2-4E90-9DB2-29F4CEA46EC8.jpeg
    559.8 KB · Views: 97

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Neat keyboard. What do the buttons above the qwerty kb do? Are they like early 2k "internet" function keys?

Great to hear your monitor is back up in action. :apple:

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Neat keyboard. What do the buttons above the qwerty kb do? Are they like early 2k "internet" function keys?
That’s right. They have PPC drivers for OS 9 and OS X and are programmable, but also come preprogrammed (the “www” key opens Safari, lol.)

The main reason I wanted this was for volume controls. It's one of the only Mac keyboards that has these, as well as the extremely useful power key.

Last edited:

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
.... spoke too soon! 😭😭

Anyone know why on earth this would happen? Worked perfectly yesterday, now it's doing this:

Attachments

• CA7B61C1-1FD4-496A-B29E-713873D5884F.jpeg
    CA7B61C1-1FD4-496A-B29E-713873D5884F.jpeg
    781.9 KB · Views: 62
  • CA7B61C1-1FD4-496A-B29E-713873D5884F.jpeg
    CA7B61C1-1FD4-496A-B29E-713873D5884F.jpeg
    781.9 KB · Views: 58

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Man that is such a drag. I wonder if it is a power issue? Maybe the mains power to the inverter (I assume it has one) is not consistent and sending wonky voltages causing malfunction. Just a shot in the dark on my end.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Did you press the back and front of the plastic on top together on the top side?

This helped me on 2 Apple displays (but ohter types) with similar problems. Don't no why, perhaps a loose connector. If not working on top test the other sides, and don't press to hard.

Maybe you can avoid a disassembly with this

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-14 um 06.01.48.png

pakra

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2021
Yeah, if it suddenly got like this, I'd assume a loose connector. Try wiggling the display and check if it gets better at certain angles. If all else fails, just take it apart again and reconnect the cables. I know, on mine, it can be tricky to get the internal connectors plugged in all the way.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Solved it! Turned out on my first disassembly, I'd left a screw wedged between the EMI shielding, and I think it was pressing on the motherboard, scrambling data... yikes!

After fixing this, and checking connectors, I managed to fix it. I can't get enough of this epic display... 4:3 rules!

IMG_5151.jpeg
IMG_1723.JPG

MrPixel

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2023
Hello! Greetings from Mexico, I just came across this thread, and I loved it. I have an Apple LCD 15 monitor for a while now, but I have a problem, I connect the monitor, and it turns on, but there is no image. I couldn't find any solution or information on the web. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help and sorry English is not my first language.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 1.23.56 p.m..png
    Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 1.23.56 p.m..png
    2.8 MB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 1.24.06 p.m..png
    Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 1.24.06 p.m..png
    2.9 MB · Views: 38

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hello! Greetings from Mexico, I just came across this thread, and I loved it. I have an Apple LCD 15 monitor for a while now, but I have a problem, I connect the monitor, and it turns on, but there is no image. I couldn't find any solution or information on the web. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help and sorry English is not my first language.
Hopefully it isn't broken. Did you test the monitor with any other computer?

One thing I sometimes have to do with this monitor is unplug and replug the power cable to get an image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.