M4P to MP3

Discussion in 'iPod' started by don't do it, Apr 18, 2008.

1. don't do it macrumors regular

Ok forgive me if this has been discussed before but for the past month i've been trying to figure out how to change the iTunes .m4p format to regular .mp3 of.aiff audio files. I have tried using many things and none seem to work.

Thanks in advance for the help.:D

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

You could try selecting the songs you want to convert and then go to (in iTunes) Advanced -> Convert Selection to MP3. The last time I used it it just made new tracks for all of the converted songs. If I remember correctly, you lose ratings and play counts though.

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Unfortunately .m4p is a protected file. You would need a program that strips off the protection like DRM Dumpster. But I have found that DRM does not work on Leopard. :(

I'm still looking for a converter

Peace:cool:

4. don't do it thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick replies but the converter in iTunes only works on songs that aren't downloaded from iTunes. Also why does dumpster not work on Leopard.

5. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Not sure, worked fine on Tiger then when I upgraded to Leopard it bounces in the dock a couple of times and then does nothing. :(

Peace:cool:

6. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

You could always just get a CD-RW, burn the songs as CD audio and rip it back. A CD-R would work too, but you'll be able to erase and reuse a CD-RW.

7. Volante macrumors regular

When I've done it in the past (was a while ago now) I first converted .m4p to m4a. Then it's easy to convert to mp3. =) I found a tool for this through google, unfortunaly it doesnt seem to be supported nomore?

Anyway, here's the adress:
    http://www.hymn-project.org

Here's a commercial one:
    http://www.notecable.com/convert-m4a-m4b-m4p-to-mp3.html

Please note that most of these programs require you to be able to play the content to convert it.

8. don't do it thread starter macrumors regular

thanks though i've already tried hymn it doesn't work though. Also yes if I could convert them to .m4a's then it would work but how much do CD-RW's usually cost?

9. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

A quick search on Google or Staples would have told you that. But about $40 for a 50 pack.

10. don't do it thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks i guess i'm a bit tired today so ya anyway I'll be checking staples and also dumpster works with my mac so i got it all figured out

Thanks

11. ryan.stewie macrumors regular

ryan.stewie

doubleTwist!

try using doubleTwist http://www.doubletwist.com/ (PC - XP, Vista Only) it legally (yes, legally!) removes drm by playing the song 'silently' and in fast-forward in the background and re-records it with only 5% loss in quality. I use it to put my iTunes songs on my Wii and it works great!

12. wajojo macrumors newbie

I am using TunePat M4P Converter (http://tunepat.com/), and the converting speed is much faster than Notecable.