.m4v nightmare

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Honza, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Honza macrumors member

Please tell me that all is not lost: I have lots of ripped video files from videos that I own, and they all used to work just fine (say 6 months ago). I've since gotten a new mac mini, and somewhere along the line of transferring all the video files to my new mac mini and deleting them off my old macbook, they have all stopped working. Handbrake doesn't recognize them (No valid source found), VLC doesn't recognize them, iTunes doesn't recognize them, Finder won't play them, Quicktime won't play them, and I've also tried downloading three different kinds of DRM m4v converter programs, and none of those would recognize them. Any help would be MUCH appreciated, as it took me hundreds of hours to get these movies to a digital format.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Honza thread starter macrumors member

Good idea. It seems to say that there is no video track.

Attached Files:

4. simsaladimbamba

Seems, the video files got corrupted during the transfer. How did you transfer them and do you have any backup?

5. Honza thread starter macrumors member

I transferred them with a USB external hard drive. Unfortunately, I did not test them before I deleted them off my Macbook.

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

have you tried using a recovery software on your macbook or did you secure empty your trash?

7. Honza thread starter macrumors member

This is where it really hurts -- just last week my HDD crashed on my Macbook, so I had to replace that (albeit with a SSD :).