Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
When ripping DVDs I usually use the Apple TV 2 preset in Handbrake. I notice that this saves the files in a m4v format. Is this better quality or worse than mp4 format? Also, I want these files to have some value in the future-- meaning that 5 years down the line I want to be able to watch them even if I no longer rely on iTunes or an Apple TV. What is the best Handbrake setting for good quality and small file size (below 2GB). Does XBMC play m4v files?

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
m4v = mp4

It's just an alternative file extension. You can manually switch from one to the other in Finder. It makes no difference.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
m4v is a container, mp4 is a codec. The video should be encoded using mp4, so it'll be identical.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Thank you everyone for the clarification.

Also, I want these files to have some value in the future-- meaning that 5 years down the line I want to be able to watch them even if I no longer rely on iTunes or an Apple TV. What is the best Handbrake setting for good quality and small file size (below 2GB)? And is m4v a format that is likely to be compatible with other media players in the future?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.