.m4v to .avi freeware?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by imaxcatchx22, Oct 6, 2010.

1. imaxcatchx22 macrumors newbie

I am living in South Korea, and have been collecting Korean DVDs for the last year. I'm planning on leaving Korea, and would like to take my collection with me, so I don't have to deal with the region coding issues back home.

I have used Handbrake to rip a couple of my DVDs with subtitles embedded, but I would like to get them into .avi files for easy use with USB ports on DVD players back home.

Is there a way to get Handbrake to rip the DVDs into .avi format? or do I need another program to convert/compress them into .avi? Is there a good freeware program to convert/compress?

Thanks.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

why would you use .avi? :(
    mp4 works great, so does .mkv

3. imaxcatchx22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Korea is not big on anything that is not Windows. It's really a pain; besides .avi is more likely to be compatible with everything in Asia.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Older versions of Handbrake were able to rip to the .avi container using the Xvid codec. Look at http://mac.oldapps.com/handbrake.php to find those, but I don't know which version exactly.

MPEG Streamclip is able to transcode from .m4v format to the .avi format.

Btw, using QuickTime Player for Windows will give you the capability to play .m4v files in Windows.

5. imaxcatchx22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the Handbrake program, but it didn't have an .avi option for it. However, I found that a combination of Handbrake for the DVD & subtitle rip and MPEG Streamclip for the file conversion worked perfectly.

Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated. :cool:

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you taken a look at older versions of Handbrake like I linked to?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can use HandBrake 0.9.3, it supports .avi

8. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Avidemux supports more encoding options than handbrake if you're in need of a slight bit more freedom.