M4V to MP4

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ma5ter5, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ma5ter5 macrumors member

ma5ter5

I'm trying to get clips I shot on my GoPro and imported into iMovie '11 into GoPro cineform studio to do some editing of the source clips. I'm specifically looking to cut the fat off of the 30+ minute clips, where I only need a few minutes. Sure enough, iMovie slapped on some DRM on my event clips. Normally cool, but I can't figure out how to remove the DRM so I can edit my clips in CineForm. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

2. simsaladimbamba

What does the thread title have to do with the thread's contents?

The thread title suggests you have problems "converting" .m4v files to .mp4, though simply renaming the .m4v suffix to .mp4 will suffice.

As to your thread's contents: How do you import the footage into iMovie? How do you get (or want to get) the iMovie footage into Cineform Studio?
    Why not import directly into Cineform Studio, without going via iMovie, since Cineform Studio can probably use its own codec (Cineform Free) instead of the Apple Intermediate Codec iMovie uses (which also does not have any kind of DRM)?

3. ma5ter5 thread starter macrumors member

ma5ter5

Okay, since you requested the back story...

I initially imported to iMovie as it was my first time doing any video editing after getting a GoPro. As I've explored more into iMovie, I found some of the limitations that I needed to find work arounds for i.e. editing source clips for length, as my GoPro runs continuously and I only need a few selections from each clip. So I started using CineForm Studio as a way to edit out the clips I wanted before importing to iMovie. Now I'm looking to go back and cut down some of the source clips (~100GB) to free up hard drive space. The clips in the iMovie event library I'm unable to import into CineForm.

I know I can download Quicktime Pro, etc., but I really don't feel like spending money on that.

And converting the file extension from .mov to .mp4 didn't seem to work. I still cannot import into CineForm.

Guess I'll just export each clip via iMovie, import and trim in CineForm, then re-import them to iMovie.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

And, what do you mean by that??

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The QuickTime Pro license has been free since Apple released Lion:rolleyes:

6. ma5ter5 thread starter macrumors member

ma5ter5

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D3380Z/A

love to see where i can get it for free...

i realize my original post was confusing, but all the responses have been, well, like they were from 12 year old pricks. i do my research to try and resolve my mac problems before posting on macrumors, and my research on this one had me stumped.

oh wait, my mistake. i shouldn't have posted on a saturday afternoon, because the only responses i was going to get was from tools who lack social skills and spend their saturday evenings on internet message boards.

7. JasonA macrumors member

Get MPEG Streamclip for free, open M4v and do Save As MP4. You can also trim the clips in MPEG Streamclip too.
    http://www.squared5.com

8. simsaladimbamba

If you ridicule posters, that want to help you, you will not get very far.
    I was just asking as your thread title confused me, how you were getting to the point you currently are and offering alternative methods.

Anyway, one last try.

I guess you don't have the original footage anymore? If not (meaning you still have the original footage), why not try to import those into Cineform?

I am also confused by the 2nd post of yours. You mentioned ".mov", while in your original post you mentioned ".m4v". Those are tow entirely different containers.

Anyway, if you don't want to answer questions (like the DRM one), or search for available answers, go the MPEG Streamclip route, as already mentioned, it opens almost any container using almost any codec (if you have the codecs installed).

One other question: Is this your first time editing video or trying to edit video? Do you have any kind of background? I just ask, to maybe get onto the same level, if further help is wanted.

9. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

What that means is...with Lion and Mountain Lion you can play MPEG videos without have to buy the MPEG playback component, as it is already included.

It's now Monday. :mad:

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What exactly do you expect to accomplish by insulting the people who try to help you?