M4V to WMV, AVI, MPG, MPEG or MPE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by blackfx35, Sep 23, 2009.

1. blackfx35 macrumors member

So, as the title says, I am trying to figure out how to convert a M4V file to any of the others noted. I need a free solution to do this....and a windows based solution. Unfortunately, I am at work (using a PC), and need to convert this ASAP for some training we are doing via webex with china! Any ideas??? Thanks.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What the hell? mp4 works with almost every player out there.

If not, download VLC player or quicktime to view.

3. blackfx35 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks....I can view the file as is with quicktime, that's not the issue. I have 50 people in China who are going to need to view the video on their individual computers. As such, I want them to be able to view it in Windows Media Player, as they all have that installed. Having 50 people install quicktime isn't going to work...

Any other thoughts here? Thanks again.

4. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Windows Movie Maker (free with XP) should be able to do that (not sure about all of the formats you mentioned, but at least some of them). If it's not in your start menu, you should be able to add it in Add/Remove Programs in the control panel. I believe you can download a newer version from MS's website for free as well

5. florasmith macrumors newbie

I personally use AVS Video Converter, It costs about $39 but it's completely worth it. It will convert from just about any format to just about any format. I used it to convert all my DVD rips from .avi to .mp4's for
    my iPod. It has full WMV support so it can convert your m4v files for windows media player with ease.
    Here's some of the features from their site:
    Read: HD Video (inc. Blu-ray video, AVCHD, MPEG-2 HD and WMV HD), AVI (DivX, Xvid, etc.), DV AVI, MP4 (inc. Sony PSP, Apple iPod and Archos), M4V, WMV, 3GP, 3G2, QuickTime (MOV, QT), DVD, VOB, VRO, MPEG-1, 2, 4, TOD, MOD, MPG, DAT, VCD, SVCD, Real Video (RM, RMVB), ASF, ASX, MJPEG, H.263, H.264, DVR-MS, MKV, OGM, FLV, AMV, MTV, TS, M2TS, M2T, TMS, DPG, NSV, FLI, FLC, CDG.
    So I recommend you this tool, you can free download to have a try,
    http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Converter.aspx
    If you stick to freeware, SUPER would be your best choice, it's an general free video converter
    http://www.erightsoft.com/super.html
    Hope it is helpful
    And this fourm is for mac os only, maybe you can find windows answer from videohelp