M5 worth it over the M3 + external storage

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by davidmeta, May 20, 2016.

1. davidmeta macrumors newbie

Hi all

So I'm still deciding between these two stock models. Another thought it this, why is the extra 256gb worth it when you will need a hub anyway and you can add external storage that way. The hub I'll be getting is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ABS82HI ...and you can just stick two USB 3 128gb flash drives in, like this: ttp://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YFI1EBC ??? Total cost £50 (the £60 hub is needed anyway) versus the £250 extra for the M5...

Thoughts?

Thanks

Dave

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

The M3 to M5 UKP250 delta is split UKP80 for the processor and UKP170 for the SSD which is a bit of a rip off but you can't compare this to your cheap External SD's that are slower etc

If you do not need the additional onboard storage I would still prefer a USB C stick for greater convenience over a hub based alternative

3. davidmeta thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you clarify what you mean here please?

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

There is 250 pounds delta between the M3 and the M5 its made up of 2 parts the SDD upgrade is 170 pounds and the step up in processor is 80 pounds in value.

Apple do not spell it out like this you can derive this by comparing all the models and work it out backwards

ie to go from M3 to M7 no change in SDD is 200 pounds to go from M5 to M7 no change in SDD is 120 pounds therefore M3 to M5 processor is 200-120 = 80 pounds

M3 to M5 sdd+processor is 250 - 80 = 170 pounds for SDD upgrade part

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would go with the M5. Carrying a hub and USB drives with you all the time kind of defeats the purpose of having a super portable laptop like the MacBook. It's also a hassle to manage a number of volumes and if 256GB isn't enough for you now, the lack of storage is just going to get worse over time.

The tray pricing of M3 and M5 are actually the same ($281), so the M5 doesn't cost any extra for Apple. The M7 is over $100 more expensive, though.

6. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

That makes it even worse and worse still for M3 to M7

As we all know Apple upgrades are not good value

7. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I think he means difference when saying delta, since it's similar meaning. Just less common in this context.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm guessing you mostly intend to use the computer sitting at a desk for long periods of time? In that case it may not matter, provided you don't mind messing with an external drive and cable every time you need to access the stuff.

For me, I'm very often not at a table or desk using my rMB. It's sitting in my lap while I'm on the sofa or in my recliner. It's in my lap when at a cafe and in a comfy chair, or while at the airport waiting for a flight, and on the tray table during the flight. Using an external drive in any of these situations would be awkward at best.