m7 1080p handbrake video conversion.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Iniura, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Iniura macrumors newbie

Hey guys I ordered my m7/512 on the 20th and got it delivered on the 26th (netherlands)

I know some people wanted to see this to compare it to the m5 so I thought why not do this test. Note that this is all new for me and I normally don't do these video conversions.
    I converted a 2min32sec video 1920x1080p file, I used the normal preset in handbrake H.264.

It converted at an average of ~28fps.

During the conversions I had only safari running with a couple of tabs open and was browsing.

Attached Files:

2. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Hmm, that's interesting. The m7 seems to throttle to a lower clock than the m5 when converting. At least according to this test: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/any-benchmarks-for-the-core-m7.1968663/page-4

The power draw is a lot higher at the start for the m7 and it spikes way higher in temperature. The FPS seems to be about the same too (even though the conversion there was a bigger file and conversion lasted way longer).

3. keviig macrumors 6502

First of all thanks for doing the test!

It does seem to throttle to the same speed, which is what i was concerned about. At this point, the m3 (which has a max 2 core boost of 2 ghz) might actually be able to keep up with the m5/m7's in long throttled tasks. This is assuming the ambient temperature was the same in both tests.

Whats weird is that i've done this exact same test on a UX305CA which has the m3 processor, and it only needed 4-5w to stay at 2 ghz, unlike the macbook which seems to use 8w. Strange that there is such a difference when they stay at the same speed. The UX305CA obviously was cooler too, at roughly 60-70c, due to only having to dissipate half the amount of heat. I doubt the Macbook has worse cooling, but for some reason it uses a lot more power.

4. TigerMSTR macrumors regular

We don't know if the m5 would have throttled more.

5. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Judging from the linked test someone with a m5 did a 1080p handbrake conversion that took 18 minutes and only dropped under 2.0 Ghz occasionally. So I would say it is safe to assume that at least that m5 throttles about the same as this m7.

6. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex